Cracking Gum Paste Question

Decorating By Rita1969 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm by RachelPaige

Rita1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rita1969 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 13

I use Wilton RTU gum paste. But it is always cracks.
What should I do?
Should I use something else or I have to do something differently?
Thanks!
Rita

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 13

i use wilton rtu g/p all the time and nick lodges.. i love wiltons premade. i teach with it at michaels. just be sure it is soft in package. any brand can get hard places.. i just use little shortening on my hands.. knead , pull and stretch..knead.. until it is nice and pliable.. then , i take that whole piece and cut it into around 4 logs. and work them up again, and wrap each log in saran wrap. then put all in a freezer bag. it keeps great. you can keep them in frig or feezer. or out for a good while. mine is alway workable and nice. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 13

i use wilton rtu g/p all the time and nick lodges.. i love wiltons premade. i teach with it at michaels. just be sure it is soft in package. any brand can get hard places.. i just use little shortening on my hands.. knead , pull and stretch..knead.. until it is nice and pliable.. then , i take that whole piece and cut it into around 4 logs. and work them up again, and wrap each log in saran wrap. then put all in a freezer bag. it keeps great. you can keep them in frig or feezer. or out for a good while. mine is alway workable and nice. hth

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 13

I don't use Wilton, I use the mix from Linnea's or CK where you just add water. I've also made my own with Nicholas Lodge's recipe (it's great!)

Remember gum paste dries out really fast. make sure you keep a little shortening on your hands and knead a little into the paste when getting ready to work with it. It's also possible to add a little egg white to some pastes to help, but I've never done that with the Wilton.

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 13

I'm just starting out with gumpaste and got the Wilton RTU at first, figuring I'd be better off than trying to make it myself: Mine cracked like crazy too. I think it dries so fast that you must really need to use way more shortening on your hands than I was using.

For my next figures I used a 50/50 mixture of MMF and gumpaste and haven't had a single crack yet. My figures are taking a bit longer to dry, but I'd rather that than the cracks. Just my .02.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 13

Wilton Ready to Use Gumpaste sucks, Nicholas Lodge has a good Tylose Gumpaste Recipe on his site, Quick and easy, I made it two days ago, The downside to it is that it has to set for 24 hours. But I bet someone else, has some better advice to share

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 13

I use Bakels Pettince ready made and I love it. Never had any problems with it.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 13

See, I guess I type too slow the other replies came in before mine

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Wilton Ready to Use Gumpaste sucks, Nicholas Lodge has a good Tylose Gumpaste Recipe on his site, Quick and easy, I made it two days ago, The downside to it is that it has to set for 24 hours. But I bet someone else, has some better advice to share

For instant GP just add tylose to fondant or gumtex if you don't have tylose available.

fneiling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fneiling Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #10 of 13

I have used Wilton and CF - I like CF best. But speaking of gum paste, what's the best thing to paint it with? I have kneaded color into it but have never painted on it. I have read on the web that I should use food coloring 'paste' but I'm not sure what that is. I usually use Wilton colors (they come in small jars and look like a gel, but I wonder if they really are considered 'paste'). Thanks.

RachelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelPaige Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #11 of 13

As far as the gum paste, what everyone else has said. haha.

As far as painting, I have used the wilton paste with some alcohol mixed it to make it a 'paint' and used that. However, Americolor makes better food gels. It isn't available here, but I order it on the decorating websites (country kitchen, sugarcraft...).

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 13

I used Wilton RTU GP to make some flowers and now I am wondering what the best way to attach them would be. It's just a bunch of singles, no bouquets. Thanks

RachelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelPaige Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug

I used Wilton RTU GP to make some flowers and now I am wondering what the best way to attach them would be. It's just a bunch of singles, no bouquets. Thanks

If they were made on a floral wire, then stick a coffee stirrer in and then stick the wire into the stirrer, so that the metal does not touch the cake as floral wire isn't food safe.

If not, then I would use royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%