Metallic Finish On Fondant And Gum Paste

Decorating By u4cake Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm by Naynayme

u4cake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

I have tried a lot of techniques and I cannot get it right. What do you use to paint on metallic colors on gumpast or fondant so that it doesn't look blotchy or form pools? I need the items used for both Gold and silver and then what to mix to make a pearl dust airbrush? Can you help?

5 replies
prterrell Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 6

I paint using luster dust mixed with vodka. If you're having trouble, you might be putting on too much at one time. It's better to build layers than to try to make a realy thick coat the first time.

Sweetriley Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 6

I use metallic "highlighter" dust in both silver and gold.

backermeister Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 6

I have used both luster dust mixed with vodka or lemon juice and I also found a gold and silver liquid edible paint at my local cake supply. Both do require layered coats otherwise they don't look smooth.hth icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 6

I also use the dust and vodka but when that dries (after several coats) then I dust it with dry dust as well..seems to help it sparkle more.

Naynayme Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 6

Is it better to apply a thin coating of shortening on the fondant before the luster dust? If so, should the luster dust be put on dry instead of mixed with vodka?

Quote by @%username% on %date%