Royal Icing And Edible Images....

Baking By toodlesjupiter Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm by toodlesjupiter

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 27

Hello. I wanted to use BC but then I remembered that it will break down RI (which I was planning to use for the border), so my question is, is it better to attach the edible image when the icing is wet or dry? I want it to be smooth(no ripples), and I also want it to blend in with the icing as much as possible. Can I have both? What is your experience? These are for a bridal shower, and I want them to be perfect! TIA!

26 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 27

I'm using glace...
I cover my cookies, let it dry for 12 hours.. take a brush with a little bit of vodka (evaporates quickly) and then apply the edible image and I'm using a foam roller to flatten it down.. And I let it dry for a few hours before packaging..

toodlesjupiter Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 27

Thank you Verono.... does the glace taste any better that the RI?, What do you cover it with? You don't let it touch the tops of the cookies, do you?

verono Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 27

You can flavor the glace like you want (as well for the RI but I prefer the texture of glace) .. I'm using almond and vanilla (clear natural extract from Spices etc.)
I don't understand this part : "What do you cover it with? You don't let it touch the tops of the cookies, do you?"

toodlesjupiter Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 27

Thanks.... nevermind about the other question.... I was in a huge hurry(on my way out the door), and misread something. Oops! icon_redface.gif
One more quick question, if you don't mind.... Is the glace stiff enough to pipe a border with, or do I need to use RI? Thanks so much for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

verono Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:20am
post #6 of 27

Over the glace ?
For detailling, I prefer RI. Easier to work with!

toodlesjupiter Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #7 of 27

Sorry if I'm being dense.... I'm so tired. 3 birthdays in my family this week plus a cookie order for some relatives. Can I use glace to cover the cookies, then royal icing to pipe a very small shell or bead border? I've never worked with glace, and didn't know if it would be weird to use both types of icing on the same cookie. I just don't like the taste/texture of RI so didn't want to use it for the entire cookie if I didn't have to. Thanks again, and sorry if this is confusing.

verono Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #8 of 27

Yes you can, why not ? icon_smile.gif
For the taste of RI, what flavoring do you use? And meringue powder is the key (I hate the smell/taste of the Wilton brand)

toodlesjupiter Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 27

I use almond or vanilla usually. I don't use Wilton anything if I can avoid it. I don't recall the brand of meringue powder I use, but I buy it at the local cake supply. I do cookies quite often, but usually just for kids, and they don't care if I use RI. They'll eat anything! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to try the glace!

verono Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #10 of 27

I forgot to tell you to use Bright White food coloring.. It changed my "cookie life" since I read that tip on CC, no more cloudy cookie (something I didn't why but was cloudy)... And I use less water than the recipe calls... like 2 corn syrup for 1 water

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 27

Hi verono! So, you use the water, not the milk for the glace? And you were talking about adding the bright white to the glace, not the RI, correct? Thanks so much for all of your help!

Also, is the taste/texture the same as RI when you add corn syrup to it? Or is it better?

verono Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 27

Yes I use water instead of milk. Bright white in the glace... I'm not familiar with RI, I'm only using it since a few weeks to make details.

I've never added corn syrup to RI...Glace is not "crunchy" but it harden well, I can stack them without any breakage..

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 27

You can package them in cello bags right?

verono Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 27

Yes, no problem at all...! I wait about 18 to 24 hours before packaging them in cello bags

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 27

So sorry I'm such a pest... but can I add the edible images sooner than 12 hours. My timeline has gotten totally skewed, and they're coming sooner than I thought to pick them up.... I want to add the edible images and a small bead border ASAP. The order was for Sun. but now they want to pick them up tomorrow am. I'm super stressed now, I didn't get the last one iced until 11:00am. Now I need to get the images/border on and dried/packaged by 10:00am. Is this possible?!? Uggh..... this is what happens you you do stuff for family.

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 27

So sorry I'm such a pest... but can I add the edible images sooner than 12 hours. My timeline has gotten totally skewed, and they're coming sooner than I thought to pick them up.... I want to add the edible images and a small bead border ASAP. The order was for Sun. but now they want to pick them up tomorrow am. I'm super stressed now, I didn't get the last one iced until 11:00am. Now I need to get the images/border on and dried/packaged by 10:00am. Is this possible?!? Uggh..... this is what happens you you do stuff for family.

verono Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 27

Ouff I wouldn't accept a change in the pick up time such at a last minute!

Could you put your image tonight around 11?.. and right after that put the small bead border... and package it tomorrow morning...
I think they will be fine !
Unless your kitchen is filled with humidity ! (You could use an A/C)

verono Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 27

Put your image tonight aound 11pm... after that, do your border.. Let it dry all night and wish everything is fine tomorrow morning to package...
If you have a high humidity level, have a A/C on !

I would'nt accept a change in the pick up time in such a short delay notice!.. But that's me!

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #19 of 27

Thanks so much for all of your help! That is what I was thinking, I just hope the border dries well enough in time. I'm going to try to get a hold of them and see if they can give me a couple more hours... at least 'til noon. Thanks again!

verono Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #20 of 27

You're welcome ! Was a pleasure to help you!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #21 of 27

So how did the cookies come out? Would love to see pics

toodlesjupiter Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #22 of 27

They turned out great. I will add pictures tomorrow and put a link here. Thanks!

luv2bake6 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #23 of 27

Glad to hear they came out nice!

toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:30pm
post #24 of 27

Well, they're not perfect, but here they are. The glace tasted great! I'm a convert. I used milk in mine, not water. I did add the bright white, and it worked great. Thanks to verono for all of your help! I was up so late doing these, my DH got up and helped me pipe the borders. He's so great! Gotta love him!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1456370.html

verono Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #25 of 27

They turned out great ! I'm happy to see that everything went well ! icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #26 of 27

They are beautiful. I'm sure they were very well received.

toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #27 of 27

Thank you both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%