Whats The Best Sushi???

Lounge By KKC Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 4:30am by luvmysmoother

KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 18

Ok, my hubby is taking me to Benihana for our "date" and for the longest I've been wanting to try Sushi. Some say its an "acquired taste" but I don't know. Is all Sushi made of raw fish?? Is any there anything that is cooked besides the rice?? What is your favorite?? I've heard that the California roll is good. I was watching Wife Swap yesterday and a couple told their kids that if they eat Sushi they would get tape worms icon_confused.gif My family thinks that I'm crazy because I'll try anything. So I need advice from you Sushi lovers/experts or from those of you who tried Sushi at least once or twice. Thanks!!!

17 replies
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 18

Sushi is my favorite food. I enjoy going to sushi buffets.

No, not all sushi contain raw fish. There are many varieties from ones with teriyaki sauce to ones with tofu and fried tempura. There is even fried sushi. When I make sushi, I love to put mangoes in my California roll.

Carson Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 18

Mmmmm sushi...its addicting!

Not all contains raw fish, you can even get some with chicken/shimp/crab etc...thats cooked and equally just as yummy (IMHO)!

KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 18

Ok so what do ya'll suggest...I've been told to try the shrimp tempura...and theres one with crabmeat, avocado and something else. Whats your absolute favorite? I'm really open minded though!

prterrell Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 18

My fav maki (rolls):
Philly roll: smoked salmon, cream cheese, and avacado
California roll: krab stick, cucumber, and avacado
Rainbow roll: a Cali. roll with salmon, tuna, whitefish, yellow fin, and red snapper on the outside (although the outside fish varies from place to place, but this is my fav combo)

My fav nigiri (small "loaf" of rice with piece of sashimi on top):
Red snapper
Yellow fin
shrimp (regular, shrimp, that is Ebi is served cooked NOT Amaebi, aka "sweet shrimp" which is not)

Cooked sushi:
shrimp nigiri (Ebi)
shrimp tempura roll (anything that is tempura'd then made into a roll is going to be cooked)
krab stick
egg nigiri (thin omelette folded up on top of the rice)
unagi (barbequed eel)
spider roll (tempurad soft-shell crab)
there are also lots of veggie rolls incl tofu and tempura tofu

Tapeworms generally come from improperly prepared/cooked land animals, although you can get them just walking around barefoot if you step in the spoor of an infected animal. As long as the fish is fresh and has been properly handled, you're safe! In America, much of the fish used for sushi is actually flash frozen onboard the fishing vessels. It goes from live, swimming in the ocen, to frozen slabs of meat in mere minutes and is thawed just before you eat it. So enjoy your sushi/sashimi worry free!

KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 18

thanks that was real helpful...I'm ready to give this a try! I must say though that I have to pass on the egg nigri cause I don't eat eggs.

xstitcher Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 18

It is definitely an aquired taste. My friends (a lot of them are oriental had been trying to get me to eat it for years). My best friend had actually made me some with no seafood in it (I didn't care for seafood while growing up, in fact I just started eating it a few years ago and still don't like lots of it). Anway, I still didn't care for it, I think it was the seafood wrap. I was pregnant with my 3rd child and for some reason I had an urge to eat it. The chef made it for me with no seafod in it because your not supposed to eat certain things while pregnant and I loved it. I still mostly only eat sushi/nigiri that is made with salmon or tuna as I'm still working my way into it but what I have tried I love. My 2 oldest boys love it too. We usually order a chicken dish for the younger too to split as they don't eat sushi YET!! icon_lol.gif

Definitely worth trying in my opinion and perhaps more than once.

saffronica Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 18

If you have concerns about raw fish, avoid anything labeled "sashimi." That is the Japanese word for "raw fish," not sushi, like many people think.

I think California and Philly rolls are a good place to start if you're hesitant -- they tend to go over well with Americans. My personal favorite is the Vegas roll -- it's deep-fried and served with eel sauce, which sounds totally gross but is SO good!

LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 18

Sashimi is the actual raw fish, sushi is the actual vinegard rice. I would definelty go with a California roll for my 1st try. It's the most palate friendly.

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #10 of 18

Oh, and the little ball of green paste (wasabi - Japanese horseradish) is hot. The heat is not like the heat of chiles, so some people tolerate it better than chiles, so not as well (I LOVE lots of wasabi, my DH, who LOVES chiles, can only take a tiny bit of the wasabi). I mix mine w/ the low-sodium soy sauce to dunk my sushi in.

And it is perfectly acceptable to eat the sushi with your hands, not your chopsticks. It is actually considered finger food.

KKC Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #11 of 18

Thanks everyone! I made up my mind a long time ago that I was NOT trying the Wasabi...I don't handle spicy foods well lol. But I am definately going to try the California & Philly roll. Another question though...Can it be made your own way? I see that they put cucumbers in the california roll and I can't stand cucumbers. I know, I know, i'm extremely picky lol!

Rylan Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 18

When you combine Japanese cucumber along with the other ingredients, it will definitely taste good. If you don't like it, I'm pretty sure you can ask them to not include it. I haven't been to Benihana but there are places where you can request what you want.

Carson Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 18

I think the spider roll is my favorite...but it seems to scare a lot of people. They shouldn't name something that looks like that "spider"...but remember its crab!

KKC Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 18
Originally Posted by Rylan

When you combine Japanese cucumber along with the other ingredients, it will definitely taste good. If you don't like it, I'm pretty sure you can ask them to not include it. I haven't been to Benihana but there are places where you can request what you want.

Rylan, does Japanese cucumber taste like all the rest?? Everyone asks me how can I like pickles and not like cucumbers?? To me they taste completely different, pickles in my opinion, are more tangy.

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #15 of 18

Well, pickles *are* tangy, because they're pickled! They don't taste like the cucumbers they're made from any more at all! icon_biggrin.gif If cucumbers came off the vine tasting of vinegar and salt and spices (i.e. like a pickle), then you'd like them! icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #16 of 18

I'm not sure how to differentiate the taste of Japanese cucumber to English cucumber but they pretty much taste the same. In sushi, they will most likely take the seeds off, so it's more of a really nice crunch.

Of course, pickles and cucumbers taste the same because they are pickled hehe.

Elise87 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:02am
post #17 of 18

Oooo i love sushi but due to stomach problems i havn't been able to have it for ages icon_cry.gif I went through an addiction stage once where i ate sushi handrolls everyday but then i got sick of them so i didn't eat any for a while but then went right back on it lol

Anyhoo my favs are (i live in aust but i think they would be similar):

Advocado roll
Cooked tuna roll
Prawn roll
Crispy chicken roll

Some may seem a bit boring but i like them, oh and always with soy sauce icon_biggrin.gif

luvmysmoother Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:30am
post #18 of 18

I think for a sushi newbie going with the cooked ones like teriyaki beef/chicken rolls, dynamite rolls (prawn), california rolls (crab, avacado), etc are the safest. Kappa maki (cucumber) and shinko maki (pickled daikon radish) are also good...If you like those you might try just a small sample of raw tuna or salmon...you don't want to be like George Bush Sr on your first outingicon_smile.gif I have such a strong craving for sushi nowicon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%