Ghetto Cake

Decorating By rvercher23 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 4:21am by summernoelle

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 77

Ok, cakers! I have a question for you. I got a order for a ghetto cake. I am like stumped. I know what ghetto is, I just dont know how to interpret it in cake. I know It needs to be a two tier, 6, and 10 inch tiers. I know I want to have a gold chain, other than that, I have no clue. Help me out with some ideas, Pretty please!!!

76 replies
happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 77

Graffiti?

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 77

You might want to check out the images on this site:

[/url]http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=ghetto+images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=D5OeSpvBBKOCmQfc3fWxAw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1[url]

(trying to do the hyperlink but not sure I did it right. If this doesn't work just do a Google search for Ghetto Images and you'll see a ton on there)[/url]

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 77

Spinners/rims, grillz, weaves/extentions, Baby Phat, long finger nails, gold chains with Cadillac symbol/crosses/marijuana leaf pendants, Escalades, gold trim, these stupid "vents" people stick on the sides of their cars: http://www.cartype.com/pics/4549/full/vent_fake_1.jpg

I could go on and on. You should see where I grew up.

Please refer to the following website for more information:

http://stuffghettopeoplelike.wordpress.com/

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm so jealous! I wish someone would ask me to make a ghetto cake.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Spinners/rims, grillz, weaves/extentions, Baby Phat, long finger nails, gold chains with Cadillac symbol/crosses/marijuana leaf pendants, Escalades, gold trim, these stupid "vents" people stick on the sides of their cars: http://www.cartype.com/pics/4549/full/vent_fake_1.jpg

I'm so jealous! I wish someone would ask me to make a ghetto cake.

hahaha Oh my so many ppl where I live have those stupid vents on the sides of their cars!!!![/b]

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 77
Quote:

Wow txcupcake, you think an Escalade is "ghetto" icon_eek.gif . I Agree with the rims and all the other things u listed but not the Escalade. I wish I could afford one lol. I hope no one ever ask me for a cake like this because I wouldn't even know how to incorporate "ghetto" into a cake. Good luck!!!

BTW, I've always hated the term "ghetto"...to me its a state of mind
just my .02 icon_wink.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 77
Quote:

I'm so jealous! I wish someone would ask me to make a ghetto

cake.

You know ghetto...you ain't lying. Hahahaha

KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 77

I so want to see this cake after you're done...please post pics!!!

tx_cupcake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Which is exactly why Escalades are ghetto. Not because they're hoopty, but because of the mentality that one with gold trim, spinners and a system that'll rattle your windows loose represents. I know plenty of preppies that drive 'em, but not the kind I was referencing above! icon_wink.gif

KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 77
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Which is exactly why Escalades are ghetto. Not because they're hoopty, but because of the mentality that one with gold trim, spinners and a system that'll rattle your windows loose represents. I know plenty of preppies that drive 'em, but not the kind I was referencing above! icon_wink.gif

Gotcha icon_wink.gif I still wish I could afford one icon_lol.gif Of course, I'd leave out the rims and speakers...brings more attention to the car than it already gets.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 77

Escalades per say are not ghetto, they just show the mentality. For example: I live at home with my mom and have 5 kids with 3 different women, don't pay child support, or give my mom rent money for that matter, but I'm stunning in my 24" rimmed, Escalade! Yeh, Escalades can be ghetto...by showing a ghetto state of mind. I for one grew up in the ghetto, and I love the ghetto and some ghetto morals are a lot more upstanding then general socities.

Anyway, you may want to ask what the client means by ghetto. you don't want to accidentally offend. But I love the idea of a "ghetto" cake.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 77

You know, ghetto is an old Italian word whose original meaning was simply "Neighborhood" You can go to Italy and find ghetto's there, but they still mean the old meaning. Just thought I would throw this out there..lol icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 77

Graffiti is the first thing that came to mind mind too lol...Trust me seen plenty of it icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 77

And just so you know, I see more white boy preppies and rednecks rolling in Escalades (or any other super size SUV) with the 20" spinning rims, booming systems, and the rest that was descibed for a "ghetto" looking Escalade!

LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #15 of 77

And just so you know, I see more white boy preppies and rednecks rolling in Escalades (or any other super size SUV) with the 20" spinning rims, booming systems, and the rest that was descibed for a "ghetto" looking Escalade!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 77

How about make it ghetto fabulous? Add some diamonds and make it look expensive.

tx_cupcake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

LOL! You should see where I work! Bunch of 23 year-old trust fund babies driving Escalades with rims... no spinners, though. And here I am in my Corolla with cloth interior and factory speakers. I'm the one who's ghetto!

Okay, forget everything I said! Make it a silver Corolla cake!!! LMAO!!! icon_lol.gif

KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #18 of 77

The areas near my house (I live in Miami) you should see how some of the cars look...they have paintings on them some have Blues Clues, Betty Boop, Spongebob, or some as daring as Marijuana plants painted on the hood (or even all around the car) The rims are the same color as the car and so is the interior.

OP I hope you got some good ideas from these posts lol!!!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:00pm
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvercher23

Ok, cakers! I have a question for you. I got a order for a ghetto cake. I am like stumped. I know what ghetto is, I just dont know how to interpret it in cake. I know It needs to be a two tier, 6, and 10 inch tiers. I know I want to have a gold chain, other than that, I have no clue. Help me out with some ideas, Pretty please!!!

Someone actually requested that? What in the world! Now, I have heard it all! LOL!

Really, they should've been much more specific than that. What might be "ghetto" to one person may mean something else for someone else!

tx_cupcake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm
post #20 of 77

KKC, in the neighborhood I grew up in (SE Houston), there was this phenomenon where people with trucks (mostly Chevy Silverados) would have a mural of the truck airbrushed onto the tailgate of the truck. And not only that, they would have the truck in different settings. Sometimes the truck would be sitting next to a serene waterfall, other times it would an action shot with the truck involved in some kind of race or high speed chase...

My all-time favorite, though, was one of my neighbors who had Jesus hanging out of the driver's side window of the truck with a gat. icon_eek.gif

I've always wanted to do a photo essay featuring these trucks. They are truly ghetto fabulous!

(You could always do a cake with a mural of the cake airbrushed on the side... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am having way too much fun with this!)

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #21 of 77

It's a very neat idea for a cake. I agree with asking the customer what they have in mind or who they have in mind and what that person might like. If you start guessing about ghetto images and ideas, it MIGHT offend someone or become more "cultural" than ghetto, ya know??? If this person wears too many gold chains and sports a fake gold tooth with a car painted like a box of cereal, i'd go in that direction.

rvercher23 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #22 of 77

Thanks for all the replies. I did get some ideas for the cake from the customer, but I basically have free reign on the design. I just cant for the life of me think of anything. I have hit road block! She said bling, bling, money signs, etc.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:39pm
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvercher23

Thanks for all the replies. I did get some ideas for the cake from the customer, but I basically have free reign on the design. I just cant for the life of me think of anything. I have hit road block! She said bling, bling, money signs, etc.

Ok, it sounds like jewelry, maybe fake money, etc. Do you have an edible printer? That would take care of the money part of it? I've seen cakes with fake dollars on them! You can do a gumpaste/fondant $ sign and place it/them on or around the cake.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #24 of 77

Whatever decorations you decide to do on it, I think red brick on the sides would be nice as a backdrop.

LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #25 of 77
Quote:

KKC, in the neighborhood I grew up in (SE Houston), there was this phenomenon where people with trucks (mostly Chevy Silverados) would have a mural of the truck airbrushed onto the tailgate of the truck. And not only that, they would have the truck in different settings. Sometimes the truck would be sitting next to a serene waterfall, other times it would an action shot with the truck involved in some kind of race or high speed chase...

My all-time favorite, though, was one of my neighbors who had Jesus hanging out of the driver's side window of the truck with a gat. icon_eek.gif

I've always wanted to do a photo essay featuring these trucks. They are truly ghetto fabulous!

(You could always do a cake with a mural of the cake airbrushed on the side... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am having way too much fun with this!)

icon_eek.gif You have got to be freaken kidding me about the Jesus one!!!!!!!!! I'm still trying to find the words.

And KCC those style of dunk cars are popular up here in VA as well...well at least in this one ghetto town that is literally 75% ghetto!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #26 of 77

I know the client has given you 100% creative license, but I would come up with a list of ideas and run them past the client -just to be sure that nothing was offensive. You wouldn't want to run into them not wanting to pay because your idea of ghetto wasn't their idea of ghetto.

If I was doing a ghetto cake, I would start by watching some of MTV's dating shows.

LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #27 of 77

If I was doing a ghetto cake, I would start by watching some of MTV's dating shows.

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

rvercher23 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #28 of 77

OK, so here is what I was thinking, tell me if I am way off base here. I was thinking of making the cake look like a brick wall, and then writing in graffiti (j-Rank is tweny-free) the customer wated the cake to say this, and then I was thinking of making big thick chain out of gumpaste and painting it gold and draping it over the cake with like a big emblem sign on it. (havent figured that out yet.) Then I was thinking of making some gold dollar signs and putting them on the cake in different places. then Splatter different colrs of paint(not really paint, but made to look like paint) on it,(this would be before any decorations are put on it.) I was also thinking of making a brass knuckle out of gumpaste and putting it on the cake. and the topper would be a boom box. K, let me know what u thik. Whatever I decide to do, I am going to sketch it up and e-mail it to the customer. She said she wants it like super ghetto.

KKC Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

or VH1 its like thats all they air is dating shows...Flavor of Love 1,2 & 3, For the love or Ray J, A Shot at love w/Tila Tequila, I Love New York, Real Chance at Love, Rock of love w/Brett Michaels....you can get alot of ideas from those shows. icon_lol.gif

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

How about make it ghetto fabulous? Add some diamonds and make it look expensive.

I like the "ghetto fabulous" idea. Put an old Lincoln on the cake with spinners and make the paint job look like a Louis Vuitton bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%