What Are The Things In Between These Layers?

Decorating By laneycake Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 1:37am by classiccake

laneycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneycake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 20

I have this wedding cake to do in a few weeks and I'm tring to figure out what the things are that they use in between the layers. I have several ideas of what I would do (several layers of foamcore for one), but wondered if there was a right way to do it and what it is. TIA!
LL

19 replies
cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 20

That's a beautiful cake! I'm thinking what you're thinking...layers of foamcore. I would think you would support it the same way you would support any other tiered cake. GL!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 20

Foamcore is exactly how I'd do it.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 20

Could you take styrofoam block and cover with foam board? The styrofoam would give it the height and the foam board would be a smoother finish and keep the stryofoam from crumbing on the cake.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 20

I've done cakes like this before and I used a drum board with the edges covered in satin ribbons.

(drum boards, for those that don't know, are those silver-covered cake boards about 3/4" - 1" thick)

HTH,

Odessa

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 20

you can get large sheets of ploystyrene at Home Depot or Lowe's in 1" or 2" thickness in the lumber/insulation section- cut with jigsaw

bakers2 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 20

ooops! polystyrene!!! bad typing day!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 20

The purple and ivory cake in my photos is similar. I used white styrofoam from craft store and covered it, then the sides were wrapped in ribbon. I use SPS for support and just put it under the styrfoam and the styrofoam actually supported the cake above it.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 20

I would love to do this cake but looking at it... it scares me...

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 20

Are you asking about the boards the cake is sitting on or the form that is separating the layers? I'm thinking the form separating the layers was the question.

If it is the boards the cake is sitting on, then yes drums, 1/2" foam board, etc.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 20

I did a cake similar, and used styrofoam squares, 2" deep, and covered them with cake cardboards on top and bottom, and the sides wrapped in fondant. It's in my photos.. hth

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 20

I did a similar cake as well, I used styrofoam from the floral dept. and then used ribbon around the outer edge.........dowel the cake underneath the foam and then put on the foam and then the next cake layer. You can add some "glue dots" (little sticky things in the craft section) to the foam to secure your next cake's board so it doesn't move at all once it's set up!

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

The purple and ivory cake in my photos is similar. I used white styrofoam from craft store and covered it, then the sides were wrapped in ribbon. I use SPS for support and just put it under the styrfoam and the styrofoam actually supported the cake above it.

This is how Id do it too icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 20

Looks like styrofoam with ribbon around the edges to me.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #15 of 20

I do this all the time....use styrofoam cut to size. This cake used ribbon. I have done that, also iced the foam with my buttercream. I have several cakes in my gallery with this. "Classic Art" is one of them....6 tiers with 2 styrofoam "drums" between several tiers iced in buttercream. "Nelly" has ribbon around the foam.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 20

I've been wanting to try something like this, would you drive a dowel through the entire cake? and if you did would it drag pieces of styrofoam into the cake?

bakers2 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #17 of 20

with the polystyrene you can 'core' it - cut out a middle section 2 - 3" so that it still supports the tier above but you don't have to worry about trying to shove a dowel through it (you still have to dowel the tier under it though!)

laneycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneycake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for the replies everyone, they helped a lot! I'm going the 2" polystyrene route with ribbon wrapped around them...should turn out great! Will post pictures when it's all said and done. Thanks again!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:31pm
post #19 of 20

Probably a dumb question... I am a newbie though... but do you all just set the styrofoam on top to the cake below it? No parchment or anything?

I was in a topic about putting the cake right onto wrapping paper the other day and have since been paranoid to let anything other than dowels and cardboard touch anything edible I'm making.

So is the fondant touching the styrofoam seperator?

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #20 of 20

I use a wrapped cardborad the same size as the styro foam under the foam. That way, the board touches the icing, not the foam. The foam is always covered on the outside edges also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%