M & M Themed Cake Ideas........pls Help

Decorating By starcitycakes Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 3:23am by cutthecake

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 11

I can't think of anything to do for a M&M themed birthday cake. I have gone through about 20 of the 200ish pages on cake ideas and found nothing. I went to the search tab and put in M&M Cake...and found nothing. Does anyone out there have any ideas or pictures of a cake to help me come up with a M&M themed cake. It is for my best friend so it needs to be more grown up (she'll be 26). I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. icon_cry.gif I've been racking my brain over this for 2 days. The only thing I have come up with is making a RKT Green M&M (the girl, it's her favorite). I would like to put her initial as the topper but I don't know if it would look right...maybe the Green M&M holding her initial. I don't know. But that's all I got........anyone else have any suggestions?

10 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 11

Two ideas here:

Get inspiration from this wedding cake - http://www.flickr.com/photos/96578885@N00/872242242/ and adapt it.

For an 3D cake - this picture would be inspiration for me - http://goinglikesixty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/green-mm.jpg
You could - either make the sofa from cake and green M&M from RKT or even foam or set this as "topper" on the cake. Change the pose - easiest would be laying on the sofa - for easier work.

Don't try to look only at cakes as your inspiration - toys, pictures and so on will help you too.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 11

I think your idea of the topper sounds really cute! I might add putting layers of M&Ms around the base of the cake (or each tier) much like others do with ribbon. Or making a design out of M&Ms around the sides. GL!

starcitycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 11

majke_ze I might just use that second picture. That would be a really cute topper.

cakefairy03...I had thought about taking M&Ms and just, I guess sprinkling them around the bottom. But more of a "ruffle", like they do with icing, than just a few here and there. I wish I could buy JUST green M&M's instead of all the colors icon_smile.gif

Thanks ya'll.

idavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idavie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 11

Hi, I found this cake picture, I think it is really cute and I hope you like it.
LL

starcitycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 11

NOW THAT'S AN IDEA!! Thank ya'll! Ya'll have opened my thinking box. icon_lol.gif
I think I can come up with something now.
Thanks Again Everyone!!

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 11

You actually can buy just the green M&Ms, it's just going to cost more. They sell them at local craft stores such as Michael's. Can't wait to see what you came up with!

starcitycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 11

ooooh I didn't know that. icon_smile.gif I'm going to try to get to Michaels this weekend. I have to drive an hour and a half to get to the closet one icon_cry.gif So I don't go very often

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #9 of 11

Party City and most bulk candy stores also sell them by individual color. I don't know if those stores are any closer to you but maybe...

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 11

thank you so much for the info on buying one color m and m's.

I want to make cowgirl cookies for a woman soldier in afganistan and they call for pink only m and m's and I had no idea where to get them.

I love this site. thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #11 of 11

You can order M&Ms by color from their website, too:

http://www.mymms.com/25colors/?sc_cid=DR_LV3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%