Cakes Not Cooking In Center - Help

Decorating By sugaah Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm by sugaah

sugaah Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 9

I've used flower nails, I've let stay in oven until dry, almost burned, and I cannot get large, 14", 16", cakes to cook completely. What should I do??

8 replies
majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 9

At what temperature do you bake your cakes? Easiest to get cakes to bake evenly is to lower the temperature - go as low as 160 C (320 F) and bake the cake longer.

Additional to lowering the temperature:
Use flower nails, for large cakes several of them.
Use bake even strip - homemade from old towels, if you have to.

But lowering the temperature takes care of big part of your problem.
I did successfully bake cakes in my small MW/convection oven as big as 13 inch round and 3 1/2 inch high (full height) with top heat only. This was the maximum size I could put in the oven. It took time to perfect the baking temperature and time, but it was possible. I still have written these instructions next to each scratch cake recipe.

The most important thing is to know your oven. Check your temperature with oven thermometer to be sure.

Good luck to you!

indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 9

Agree ... lower the oven temp, use baking strips. In a home oven, I bake at 325, no matter what the size.

robinleah Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 9

sometimes I have this same issue. how do yuo make the baking strips from the towels? Are they just strips then dipped and pinned around the pan. I have tried something simliar with paper towel and tin foil.

sugaah Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 9

the 14" i cooked for approximately 3 hours on low temp was almost runny in the middle and dry and hard around the edges

matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 9

Something is up. Try using a heating core. For most people a flower nail will do the trick. However, a heating core will bring a considerable area of heat to the center for you. Sounds like what you need.

However, something is wrong in this whole equation. Check your oven temp with a calibrated thermometer. Make some ice water and the temp should read 0 F. Boils some water and it should read 212 F. Then check your oven temp.

If you have an electric oven, is an element out? If it is gas, make sure the burner is working properly. Your problem is the oven, not the cake.

majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by robinleah

how do yuo make the baking strips from the towels?

Here is a topic on CC:

And I agree, this is oven problem. If the temperature is right, check for hot spots: Easiest is to bake a sheet of sugar cookies - simple squares with exact same dimensions - one next other. Don't turn the sheet, this time you want the cookies bake (and burn) as they are. Should your oven have hot spots, you would get some burned cookies, some perfect cookies and some almost raw cookies.

Cathy26 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 9

use a heating core. THEY ARE AMAZING, also use wet towels wrapped round the tin and tin foil over the top of the tin to stop the top burning, get an over thermometer and make sure the temp is slightly lower than stated.

this is what i do and have never had a problem since and i was about to lose the will to live before!

sugaah Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 9

THANKS y'all - I'll do all you have advised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%