How Can I Avoid "fridge Smell"?

Decorating By Ladybug78 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 5:03am by lngo

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 11

Right now I am not able to have a second fridge for my cakes..... but i am really nervous about my cakes having a "fridge" smell. What happens to the cake if it smells like refrigerator???? I haven't personally come across this issue yet but I have seen this mentioned on CC briefly. So my questions are can cakes sit out overnight (with just BC) and if the cake needs to be in the fridge how do I avoid the fridge smell. Thanks, your help is appreciated.

10 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 11

I don't like perishable fillings for this very reason. On the rare instance I have to make one, I always keep the cake in a closed box. And I guess you could avoid smelly left overs the week you know you have a cake. icon_smile.gif And an open box of baking soda in the fridge couldn't hurt.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 11

Unless the filling is perishable, your cakes shouldn't need refrigerated. Gramma always kept her cakes on the counter. I never refrigerate mine.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 11

I also don't refrigerate alot unless it is a tiered cake I want to keep cold.I do not deliver and set up...customer's pickup from me so I want to ensure the cake is solid so I refrigerate those cakes.I put my leftover icings in the fridge etc..I add a little bowl of baking soda to the fridge and freezer area.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 11

i always put mine in the fridge,but never had a problem with them smelling like the fridge,usually the fridge smells like the cake...uummmm,smells good!

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 11

I frequently use perishable fillings and have to refrigerate, I've never had an issue with "fridge smells" though. If I have something like a leftover onion in there, I'll double baggie it and I always have a box of Arm and Hammer open.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 11

MAke sure the smelly food are out of the fridge, deodorize it with baking soda and store your cake.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 11

Wrap "smelly" foods well.
Baking soda and charcoal (real, not briquettes) absorb odors.
Store icing in sealed container (airtight lid, plastic wrap, Glad press-n-seal)
Store cake (if perishable filling/icing) in airtight container or in box with seams sealed with tape or press-n-seal.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 11

Activated charcoal (like the kind they sell for aquariums) works amazingly well. I filled a small mason jelly jar with the charcoal and used a piece of cheesecloth in place of the lid insert. Absolutely no more refrigerator odors. It lasted for several months before I had to change out the charcoal.

No more baking soda for me!!

HTH,
Karen

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 11

I always keep at least 2-3 boxes of baking soda in the frig so mine never smells no matter what's in it. I usually never use the same frig though. But I guess that's the trick, everyone agrees with.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgieger

Activated charcoal (like the kind they sell for aquariums) works amazingly well. I filled a small mason jelly jar with the charcoal and used a piece of cheesecloth in place of the lid insert. Absolutely no more refrigerator odors. It lasted for several months before I had to change out the charcoal.

No more baking soda for me!!

HTH,
Karen

I've heard that activated charcoal actually works better than baking soda. The charcoal is more porous so it has a greater surface area and can bind to more of the odorous molecules. To maximize the charcoal's effect, you can spread it onto a cookie sheet and place it at the bottom of your fridge. I think I learned that from Alton Brown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%