Mixing Dummies With Real Tiers

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm by terrylee

MissCakeCrazy Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:17am
post #1 of 8

From what I read, many of you do your cakes in many depths. Some of you do 3", 4" and even up to 6" depth tiers. How do you deal with the situation when you will be having at least one dummy tier in the middle when all dummies are standard size (3 inches high). Doesn't it look odd sitting on top of a 4 inch cake?

7 replies
xstitcher Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:23am
post #2 of 8

Dummies also come in 4". If you go to Dal las Foam (no space in the word Dallas) or Taylor Foam just to name 2 places you can get them (or any cake store) you will also see them in 4" sizes.

They also have them in 5" thickness at the above named on-line suppliers.

Edited to add:

I just noticed your in the UK so maybe that's the normal size over there.....

BTW, I have seen lots of cakes that have various heights for each tier so it will not look that odd.

majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:42am
post #3 of 8

If you can't get your hands on 4" high dummies, here are some ideas:

- Choose a design where all the tiers are different.
- Pad the height - use cake board in same size, cut from foam or foamcore to the right dimensions and height.

If your dummy is the top tier, it can look OK. The tier is smaller, the lesser height would add to the overall delicate look. It will always depend on the whole design.

dnrlee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:35am
post #4 of 8

I've noticed that too but my question is why do you use dummies with cake and do you you charge the same for a dummy tier as a cake tier?

indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

I've noticed that too but my question is why do you use dummies with cake and do you you charge the same for a dummy tier as a cake tier?

Cost of styrofoam dummies = cost of cake ingredients.
Same amount of icing.
Same amount of time to decorate.
Same level of talent required.
Takes up the same amount of space in the delivery van.
Takes the same amount of gas in the van to deliver it.

We charge the same because it costs us the same.

We use dummies when a bride want a grand, big, tall, 5 tier cake to serve 50 people. It adds the bells-n-whistles the bride wants to turn her dinky 1 tier cake into a grand 5 tier cake. Bells-n-whistles cost extra.

CakeWhizz Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

Cost of styrofoam dummies = cost of cake ingredients.
Same amount of icing.
Same amount of time to decorate.
Same level of talent required.
Takes up the same amount of space in the delivery van.
Takes the same amount of gas in the van to deliver it.

We charge the same because it costs us the same.

We use dummies when a bride want a grand, big, tall, 5 tier cake to serve 50 people. It adds the bells-n-whistles the bride wants to turn her dinky 1 tier cake into a grand 5 tier cake. Bells-n-whistles cost extra.

Amen to that! thumbs_up.gif

dnrlee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 8

That makes sense! Thanks!

terrylee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 8

I did a dummy cake for an outside wedding.....Less worries with the cake being out in the elements, for health issues and durability.....the top layer was real but for cutting only......sheet cakes in the kitchen...caters loved it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%