What Do You Think Of This Business Name?

Business By Motta Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm by vtcake

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:28am
post #1 of 29

I'm marketing to all ages but mainly to children (via parents, of course). I was thinking of Buttercup Bakery.
Too cutesy? Too forgettable? Your thoughts are much appreciated!

28 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 29

I think it is cute, I like it.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:06am
post #3 of 29

I really like it, too. It sounds like a place I'd want to buy something delicious from, and the word "buttercup" conjures up a strong image for me.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:25am
post #4 of 29

It has a ring to it. I like it too thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 29

Go with it!! I think it's fantastic!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 29

There is a very famous Buttercup Bake Shop in NYC. Since you are in Canada you won't have trademark infringement issues, but to me, its not kosher to snatch somebody else's brand.

http://www.buttercupbakeshop.com/

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 29

i really like the name. would be nice to go with a buttery yellow color them too. to tie it all together.
good luck, and i vote yes!!!

Motta Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

There is a very famous Buttercup Bake Shop in NYC. Since you are in Canada you won't have trademark infringement issues, but to me, its not kosher to snatch somebody else's brand.

http://www.buttercupbakeshop.com/

OOps. Didn't know that existed.
If I did go with my name it's still different than the one you mentioned because they use "bake shop" and I would use "bakery". I would have to go through a registered name search anyways before I could legally name my business. THanks for the heads up, though.

Motta Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

i really like the name. would be nice to go with a buttery yellow color them too. to tie it all together.
good luck, and i vote yes!!!

Thanks! The only problem is that I wanted to use pink pretty extensively in my advertising because my (little bit) of research shows that women relate to it and it's comforting, calming, reminds us of childhood, etc. I guess I could use a small buttercup-type flower in yellow on a pink background??? I think women are usually the ones making cake orders for the family.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 29

..have sent you a PM...

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 29

I wouldn't worry too much about using the word buttercup when some other bakery not in canada has used it.. I mean, how many businesses out there are named Patty's Cakes, or Katies Cakes, or some other common thing?? I bet the customers you have won't even notice! I say go with Buttercup Bakery... I like it!!!

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 29

I think it sounds wonderful also, I agree a place where I would want to buy some baked goodies or whatever you are selling. Grownup friendly and kid friendly name.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 29

I would put "BUTTERCUP BAKERY" in the search engine to see how many you come up with and go from there. I found three in various parts of the world. Would people think you are affiliated with them?

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 29

I am thinking of opening up a bakery out of my home. I have been thinking of names and every time I come up with a name I do a search on google and thier is already a bake shop with that name. So, I finally thought fine I will just call it Starla's Cakes and that is taken too.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 29

It's pretty hard to come up with something original when half the people in your industry are going to use the word "cake" in thier names..I did it... I'm guilty.. Actually, a week after I purchased my business name, I found out that theres a bridal shop in town with almost the exact same name... grrrrr.... but, what can you do? .. lol.. I think you just go with whatever name you like and that suits your business that isn't EXACTLY the same as someone elses... it's tough man....

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 29

I think it's cutesy.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #17 of 29

Oh it sounds really cute, brings to mind the colors yellow and brown, like a sunflower. I'd stop in there if I was a tourist and buy a cupcake.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #18 of 29

It really is hard to try to come up with something original that still works as a good name for a company that isn't too funky that hasn't been taken. I just started my business under a name I thought was oh-so-very original when I first thought of it. Then I checked it out online and there are 2 other bakeries with the same name as I have. I was bummed at first, but they are both in different countries, so I still went with it. I don't know how it all works legally, but I figure if you're not anywhere near direct competition (i.e. same state) as someone else with the same name, you should go ahead and use what you want. A business name is a personal thing. I want to LIKE what I call my company and not have to settle on a name just because no one has ever used it before. If someone else liked the name too, then as long as you're not stepping on each other's toes, I don't see what's wrong with calling it what you want.

By the way, I love the name Buttercup Bakery. Very cute, but not too cute.

Motta Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 29

Yeah, it's really growing on me! I'm beginning to LOVE it too! I will have to do a search to see if it's available for registration in this province. Thank you all for your input.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #20 of 29

i love it!

snarkybaker Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #21 of 29

Well, here is is a bit of advice, before you pick a name that is so close to a VERY famous bakery, you may want to talk to a lawyer. The name of our business is Sugarland, and a girl opened a bakery about 80 miles away named Jenn's Sugarland Bakery and we shut her website down by faxing our trademark to Go Daddy.

If she doesn't take her signs down, I am going to be forced to get a court order to have her business closed by the Sheriff.

Bakery vs. Bakeshop is a descriptor and is not enough difference to prevent legal action.

Motta Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #22 of 29

Snarkybaker - thanks for the advice! I figured since I'm in Canada and they are in the U.S. it wouldn't matter but we are a global village on the internet, aren't we? I will definitely seek legal advice because I had already planned to become incorporated right from the start and hopefully avoid legal issues in the future. Again, thank you.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:45am
post #23 of 29

I think that name is adorable. I do think you need to check into it though. I did a google search and came up with one in NY (the famous one), VA, FL and CA. Popular name I guess. icon_smile.gif Since you are in Canada I don't know how that works. It is so hard to come up with an original name!

Motta Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:12am
post #24 of 29

Yeah, I really like it but now I'm getting worried that I'll have to go back to square one....

I found a bakery in Bragg Creek, Alberta (near the Rocky Mountains), about 400 km from me, named Buttercup Country Bakery. ARRGHH! They are a full service bakery making bread, rolls, muffins, cakes, cookies, all of it. Mine is a home-based business doing mostly cakes, cupcakes and cookies.

Does the fact that they have "country" in the middle of their name make it different from mine? please please please?

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:27am
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Yeah, I really like it but now I'm getting worried that I'll have to go back to square one....

I found a bakery in Bragg Creek, Alberta (near the Rocky Mountains), about 400 km from me, named Buttercup Country Bakery. ARRGHH! They are a full service bakery making bread, rolls, muffins, cakes, cookies, all of it. Mine is a home-based business doing mostly cakes, cupcakes and cookies.

Does the fact that they have "country" in the middle of their name make it different from mine? please please please?

First off I love the name... Keep it!

If you have to change it out at all how about Buttercup Confections?

Just a thought in case you cant because of the word bakery icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:34am
post #26 of 29

I hope you get to use your original idea. If you end up running against trademark issues, maybe you could keep the buttercup but change the name a little.

The Pink Buttercup
Buttercup Sweets
My Little Buttercup....has the sweetest smile (sorry, I couldn't resist the reference to the Three Amigos icon_biggrin.gif )

snarkybaker Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #27 of 29

Jennifer Appel does indeed own the term "Buttercup" for the purposes of selling pastries.

The use she claims is "retail bakery shop".

Technically she could shut down anyone else who used the term, but it doesn't appear that she has been inclined to do so in the past. So, while I think it is really NOT groovy to infringe on someone elses trademark, you certainly can name your business anything you want.

The thing about trademark infringement is that it will limit your success, because you can bet as soon as you show up on the Food Network, she'll file and shut you down, so IMO its better to have a name of your own.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #28 of 29

There is a Buttercup Bakery in North Texas. Don't remember the actual town but I do know it is in a very rural area. But still is one all the same.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #29 of 29

I like the name, and it's good to have a name with a beginning letter of the alphabet, in case you decide to list it in the yellow pages of the phone book.

fyi, my granddaughter named a beautiful gray chicken Buttercup, so to many, color doesn't matter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%