When Do You Decorate?

Decorating By kricket Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm by sugarMomma

kricket Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:23am
post #1 of 7

I usually cover my fondant cakes the day before delivery. When do you cover or ice your cakes?

6 replies
bashini Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:15am
post #2 of 7

Hi, I bake my cakes two days ahead and in the morning. The same day night I torte and fill and let it settle overnight. Then the next day crumbcoat and cover the cakes in fondant and decorate. So the customer have the whole day next day to come and pick the cake up, anytime! If I have modeling to do, I will do that at least a week ahead. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:40am
post #3 of 7

If the cake is for a Saturday, I ice and cover the cake on Thursday.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:24am
post #4 of 7

Shhh, you're supposed to tell people you stayed up since Midnight baking and decorating so the cake was baked the same day! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakemaker30 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:51am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Shhh, you're supposed to tell people you stayed up since Midnight baking and decorating so the cake was baked the same day! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

This is what I always do. You mean people actually bake a cake on a different day than when it's going to be eaten. That's so disgusting!!! I never eat anything that is more than one day old. Some people I tell ya icon_lol.gif

disclaimer: this is pure sarcasm so please don't yell at me icon_biggrin.gif

kricket Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 7

What about buttercream? Okay to ice the day before delivery?

sugarMomma Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 7

Sure you can ice in buttercream a day ahead. Two days ahead or more even. If it is a crusting buttercream it will just crust a bit more the longer it sits, but not badly.
Years ago I made a cake for a friend of my mom's and got the dates wrong. I was early by weeks. Gave her the cake which I figured she'd eat, but she saved it til then! Kept it in the cake box in the fridge. I was there when she cut and ate it, and surprisingly it was good. I thought it would have dried out badly. The icing was a little crustier than normal, but not as much as I expected, and the cake still very moist.
I used a modifed box recipe that I iced frozen in Wilton's buttercream, so maybe that was why it was well preserved. I wouldn't try that with fresh scratch cake, or a whipped style buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%