Making Fondant Look Like Wood

Decorating By nonie2007 Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 3:54am by cownsj

nonie2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonie2007 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone please tell me how to make fondant look like a wooden fence or wooden pail. Would love to know the trick. Thanks for your help in advance.

5 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 6

I used Buddy Valastros method of painting with a mixture of brown and orange and scratch some lines here and there to look like wood, and then he used a fan shaped paint brush to go over it while wet, and I did that on my bat recently...hth

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 6

Just paint it with different shades of brown food gel color dilluted in alcohol.

nonie2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonie2007 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 6

Thanks alot. I actually have all the episodes of Cake Boss recorded but I thought it would be quicker to go through Cake Central. Thanks again.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #5 of 6

wow I envy you, and wish I had taped them darn it........I watched each episode about four times though lol

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 6

I use a pointed tool. I first make any lines for the edges of the individual boards. Then I simply run the tool in a random flowing pattern within each board to indicate the grain of the wood. If I want nailheads at the ends of each board I use a #3 tip to make them. Afterwards I use either ivory or brown coloring and mix it with a little bit of vanilla. I then paint the fondant making sure extra goes into the grain itself, that makes the color darker there. I paint on as much or as little as I want to get the color and depth of color I'm looking for.
I'm attaching a photo of just the board I did that is under the cowboy hat cake I made. I knew the cake would cover most of the board and took the picture so I could show people what the wood can look like. I used the brown coloring to get this look. Hope this helps.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%