Asap - Mini Donuts As Fillers?

Decorating By paula19 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm by paula19

paula19 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a coca cola truck cake and I need to add height between the layers. Originally I was going to use a cookie I was going to bake but I realized when I got home that I bought a cookie mix that expired 4 months ago! All I can think of that I have available is mini donuts. And I simply can't go to the store for some reasons. Would using mini donuts be weird? Anyone ever use them? What do you think? Any suggestions as to what else I can use? BTW, I don't have fruit with me. TIA.

8 replies
paula19 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 9

Anyone? I can't wait a long time, so I'm about to use them with chocolate and vanilla pudding also. Anyone have any opinios or other suggestions please?

letsgetcaking Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 9

Are you using the doughnuts as an extra layer? Or would the doughnuts just be in the corners, so you could see in between the cake layers?

paula19 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 9

I'm thinking of using them to add height to the cake. They're going to be sandwiched between 2 cake layers, since I don't have fruit or cookie available right now.

letsgetcaking Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #5 of 9

Well, I've never heard of doing that. What flavor is the cake and what kind of doughnuts are they? If you do end up needing to use the doughnuts, I would probably use a different filling (like buttercream) if it's going to be mixed in or touching the doughnuts. I think the texture of the doughnuts with the pudding might be kind of gross. Like I said, though, I've never heard of this before, so it might turn out great. Let us know how it goes.

Lori00 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:19am
post #6 of 9

Why are you adding donuts for height? Why not add extra layers of cake? or you can always heighten it by making the bottom layer a dummy and put the real cake on top.

ceshell Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:22am
post #7 of 9

I know this is probably too late, but did you torte all of your layers already? I get tons of height by torting each baked layer, sometimes even if they're on the thin side. I think I am four hours too late to be helping out though lol icon_redface.gif

paula19 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 9

I ended up not using the mini donuts. I felt it would be a little weird, so I just left it like that. just iced the top of the bottom layer, placed the top layer on top, crumboated, then covered the cake in fondant and decorated. Still wish I could've added to cookie layer in the middle. But I like how the cake came out though. I think the coca cola truck turned out pretty good. I'll post pics of it as soon as I can upload them icon_smile.gif

paula19 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 9

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1455795
Here's the cake, in case anybody was wondering what I meant. I was gonna use them inside the cake to add height, but I chickened out so I didn't. I used donuts for the wheels. That's how I had donuts in hand lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%