Advice For Transiotion From Party Cakes To Wedding Cakes

Business By dreamcakesmom Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm by dreamcakesmom

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 6

Hello all, I have started as of last december to sell my cakes. I have actually picked up good momentum and are getting regular calls for orders However, up to this point my client base has been all occasions Except weddings. I have done stacked tier cakes and I think the quality of my work is professional however I can not "sell" a wedding cake order. Just wondering, how did you all break into weddings? Any advice?

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 6

Advertise in local wedding guides...There are a few national companies that do shows and they usually have some kind of a related magazine that they give out at shows. There's The Wedding Guide and Premier Bride that you could check out. They might have affiliates in your area.

Do a wedding show if you can find one that's not too expensive, that will get you some exposure.

Also see if there are any wedding networking groups in your area, those are very good ways to meet other vendors who can refer brides to you.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 6

You should buy a set of cake dummies and make a few different styles for pictures, then you'd have wedding cakes in your portfolio. You could probably do several looks without having to put the fondant on several times...first time plain white with satin ribbon around the base of each cake, second time a different color ribbon and some flowers, third time a fondant drape, etc...

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You should buy a set of cake dummies and make a few different styles for pictures, then you'd have wedding cakes in your portfolio. You could probably do several looks without having to put the fondant on several times...first time plain white with satin ribbon around the base of each cake, second time a different color ribbon and some flowers, third time a fondant drape, etc...

This is a great idea! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 6

Go network with photography, flower, and bridal businesses. Leave some cards or brocheres or something and tell them that you will take some of their cards and pass them on to the brides that you get as well. Obviously, you can only use one from each business though.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks all for your replies. I am in the process of making some dummies so helpfully with that in my portfolio it will give brides the confidence to use my services.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%