Marshmallow Buttercream

Decorating By G-Rho Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm by ninatat

G-Rho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G-Rho Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 22

has anyone used this? I'm VERY curious. I'm going to ATTEMPT my first topsy turvy cake, for my sisters 50th birthday..I would love to have a smooth brite white smooth finish, will this work? thanks y'all!

21 replies
kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 22

I just saved a recipe from here into my favs & was wondering the same thing. Does anyone have a picture of a cake with this on it? Is it pourable?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:00am
post #3 of 22

I always thought it was just a bc that tasted like marshmallows. I've never made any of it though.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 22

Never tried it, but I did see the recipe. My thought was the difference is in the taste.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:44am
post #5 of 22

I saw the recipe too & was thinking it's more like a pourable fondant---like what is used on petit fours. I would like to know the consistency as well

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 22

Well now you all are making me want the recipe! Does anyone want to post the link in here?

Thanks!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 22

It ws on the CC home page, but here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7627/marshmallow-buttercream

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 22

I had posted the same question when I saw the recipe but I don't know if the author has ever responded... I will go check to see if there is any response and get back to you.....

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 22

Ok who's going to make it lol

txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 22

I sent a PM to the author of the recipe. Will see what she/he says and let you know.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 22

Oh, I so want to try this out. It sounds nice. I do wonder how large of a cake it would cover, etc.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 22

I saw the original post and thought it sounded like a nice recipe to try....sounds like a nice smooth finish with minimal fuss (???)

I'm going to try to try a batch this weekend, and will post what happens if I do!

txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 22

Here is the response I received from the author of the recipe.

It's both! I spread it on an 8x8 and then dipped cupcakes in it and it formed perfectly on both. For the cake I spread it, but not perfectly and it settled like it had been smoothed, looked like fondant. And the cupcakes, I've seen a pourable fondant on cupcakes only filled half way so the fondant covers it still inside the wrapper, it worked pretty much the same way. I made the cupcakes without papers then put them in pretty papers for decoration and the icing filled in to the edges. There were a few bumps that didn't smooth out all the way, but I barley pushed on them and they went away.
There is quite a difference in the taste, it's much sweeter and I needed a bit more flavoring so it wasn't just pure marshmallow taste.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 22

This sounds interesting. I think I'm gonna try this. Ill be curious to see what others experience is.

nonie2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonie2007 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #15 of 22

Do you use this as a crumbcoat or is this the final step whereas you don't have to use fondant at all?

ninatat Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:01pm
post #16 of 22

hi all, so i take it you don't have to viva it? cool

ninatat Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:13pm
post #17 of 22

opppppp for got i have bags and bags of minature marshmallows hmmmm i probably could melt some on measure aahhhh da i don't have an large ones, would any one like to do this for me. Thanks

ninatat Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 22

i forgot to hit post da, i only have tons of mm marshmalows, does any one want to measure for me the equal of 1 large to mm's thanks

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:45am
post #19 of 22

10 large mm= 1 c mini mm

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:23am
post #20 of 22

has anyone tried this? post some pics please. thanks!

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:02am
post #21 of 22

I tried it once, and it was a total mess! It was very goopy. Worked way more like poured fondant rather than a buttercream. I used it on dipped cupcakes. They initially set up ok, but the next morning all the icing had slid off the cupcakes and were in a huge sticky puddle on the plate. It was an absolute disaster!

I will say that it tasted AMAZING. However I'd use it as a fruit or cookie dip instead of a cake icing. Also, the next day it got really humid suddenly (a rainstorm had blown in overnight) after I made it, so that certianly affected it too.

HTH!

ninatat Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #22 of 22

thanks for the measurements did you melt them thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%