Help!!! Arms Keep Falling Off Of Elmo Cake

Decorating By TeriO Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm by TeriO

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

I am making an elmo cake for my great newphews birthday this weekend. The elmo is made out of Rice Krispies and I made the arms seperate from the body. When I push the dowels in the body and try to cover them in the royal icing, they won't stay on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

5 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe using some royal icing as glue, letting it dry, then decorating.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Maybe using some royal icing as glue, letting it dry, then decorating.

Yes, use an extra thick royal icing as a glue. Use string, rope or tape to hold until dry(24 hrs?).

Or call it Elmo de Milo. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 6

Can you try to compress the RKT of the body more? Sounds like you need a firmer body to hold the dowels... Maybe a last resort, though, since you probably don't want to start again!!! Good luck.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6

I do not know if you have time to redo Elmo but someone lovely person here on CC suggested crushing the rice crispy cereal to dust then making the actual RKT. I did this for my Elmo and I shaped his arms and body separate then let them dry over night. He was hard as a rock (not being gross!) the next day and I was able to dowel the arms into the body. It was so hard I actually had to drive a metal dowel in first to make the hole. His body parts did not come off once they were in place. HTH

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I never thought I would dislike Elmo so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%