Easiest Way To Make A Log Cabin..

Decorating By HeatherWantsCake Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 1:01am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

HeatherWantsCake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a resort/camping theme cake and can't decide on the best/easiest way to "build" my cabin. RKT or cake or graham crackers .. covered with fondant, pretzels, icing, Kit Kat bars or gumpaste .. Too many choices!! It's just going to be a decorative element on top of a sheet cake, so doesn't necessarily have to be all that edible.

What would be the easiest way to go, do you think? TIA for any advice, instruction, or inspiration!

9 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 10

i say depends on the customer, old or young? I think kids would it if it was RKT covered with fondant or chocolate sticks etc. but i think adults may apreciate a more, decorated approach say with gumpaste.

starcitycakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 10

kit kats? would that be used for like the planks??

HeatherWantsCake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 10

Hmm.. tough call. It's for a family day at a resort; lots of kids and their parents. I see what you mean, though. Thanks.

HeatherWantsCake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 10

Starcity, yes, I saw a picture of one once that had kit kat bar walls; sort of looked like logs, only a little darker than what I have in mind.

I've had way too long to think about this cake, I think. I can usually pull a "scene" together off the top of my head, as I'm putting the cake together, but this one was ordered way in advance and I've got too many ideas and not enough time/know-how to do it all! Ack! icon_cry.gif

Rylan Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 10

Here is a gingerbread house I made a while back. It isn't the best (first time using gumpaste at that time). Maybe it will give you ideas.

Page 16

HeatherWantsCake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:30am
post #7 of 10

Rylan, that's AMAZING!!!! icon_surprised.gif

It's waayyy more intricate and complicated than I'm hoping for on this cake - I've only got a couple more days to finish this cake, so I'm starting to think that a simple carved cabin with piped "logs" might be the way I have to go, unless anyone else has an easy solution for me.

pattycakesnj Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 10

if you use the wilton stand up house pan you wouldn't have to carve it much, maybe a little off the top to make it more log cabin looking

HeatherWantsCake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 10

Thanks, Pattycakes. This cake is going to be a whole resort "scene" - a 12 x 18 base with decorative elements including a lake, some trees, a few gumpaste people and animals, and I was hoping/planning to include the log cabin lodge as well as maybe a trailer on a campsite, so the log cabin has to be fairly small. I'm not sure how big the Wilton pan is, since I don't have one and, as I'm doing this one as a favour (for free!), I'm trying not to spend a whole bunch more money to put it together.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by starcitycakes

kit kats? would that be used for like the planks??

Oh! icon_surprised.gif Instead of kit kats, use Twix. They've got a bumpy side that could work for logs. Stack and glue next to dowels for support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%