Cake Challenge Disaster

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm by indydebi

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 6

Did anyone watch that new cake challenge show last night on TLC? I felt very sory for the team who's cake fell apart there at the end....but it reminds me that even the most professional cake makers have bad days and cakes that just don't turn out right.....

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

I can't envision 35 lbs of rolled fondant staying on the side of anything without tearing, refrigerated or not. It was a helluva risk to take, and gravity always prevails.

Wasn't that team leader, Bob, called a king of buttercream last night by the other male team leader? I do not think a $10,000 challenge is the place to travel outside of your expertise without a few rehearsals.

On the lighter side, had his team fulfilled their mission, it's quite likely they would have won. The compass on the top tier was painted most impressively, very historically correct, and had the entire piece been that well done, I believe he would have won the pirate's vote for sure, anyway.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 6

Apparently he doesn't usually work in fondant.....but when I saw what he was planning I thought there was no way that was going to hold! His design was pretty cool, so it is a shame that it didn't work out. The winning cake was definitely the most detailed....but I liked the other one better.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with playingwithsugar! If you don't regularly use fondant - practice your behind off or don't compete! As for the Judges - Leigh is a waste of a judge - I remember her from Amazing cakes and she never worked on a cake, only criticized! I think to be able to be a judge for such a competition, you should be able to work wiith and understand the materials, just my opinion.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

I saw it last night too....it didn't seem to me like it was supported or dowelled well enough to handle the weight of all that fondant, and I wondered too if he had done any trial runs. That said, I felt he handled himself with dignity and humor in the face of disaster...and his cake flavor sounded yummy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 6

I caught the tail end of this show and also felt bad for them. To stand there and watch your cake fall apart in hunks like that. Can't imagine. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%