Tbk Hi Ratio Shortening ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 1:37am by angelabarton

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 10

Hi All!

I have been buying Sweetex shortening since I started using Hi-Ratio. I have been buying it from thebakerskitchen.net
They no longer package Sweetex in the 4 pound tub due to copyright issues. I called the company several days ago to ask about the TBK recipe. She advised me all that changed was the label. She told me it was STILL SWEETEX in the tub, just with a TBK label on it???????????

That made absolutely no sense to me at all. So, I emailed the company yesterday asking about this. This time, I was told something different. The TBK brand in fact is DIFFERENT. This associate told me it was....BETTER.... than Sweetex shortening?? Made with the SAME ingredients????? Since this associate works for TBK, I doubt they are going to give me a "no don't use this" answer.

My question, has anyone used TBK shortening? I do not want to change my recipe that I have been using since day 1. Any insight would be appreciated....

Thank you,
=)

9 replies
dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 10

I see they also are no longer offering the 50lb block, only the 4lb tubs.

It doesn't look like they have adjusted their recipe for buttercream on the site. Thats the same one they had up using sweetex.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 10

Hmm......maybe they are not allowed to say they are repackaging it under their own label now? (just a thought)

Mikel79 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 10

thumbs_up.gif

Thx for the help!

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 10

I use TBK Sweetex and I have not had any issues thus far...I like buying the 4 lb tubs...I don't have the room nor the order volume needed to justify the 50 lb block...but I LOVE Sweetex....

If all else fails, I found out that Global Sugar Art sells it also, but I think it's only in the 50 lb blocks....

Let us know if you hear anything else!!

Happy Baking!! thumbs_up.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 10

Well, if in fact the TBK is NOT Sweetex, that might explain the difficulty I've had with Sugarshack Buttercream. Sharon Z. helped nail down the fact that I'm using too much liquid, but could not explain the air bubbles. I bought the TBK based on what they told other CCers about the brand.

Anyway, I purchased a 50-lb block of the real thing from
www . fondantsource . com
yesterday. The person there told me there had been no complaints of heat damage and they had recently shipped to California from Florida. She felt my shipment would arrive in good condition in Kentucky. The price was the best I could find anywhere, although still a looooong way from cheap!

Mikel79 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 10

grandmom...

That is what I am afraid off. I only used Sweetex for my Hi Ratio. I also use sugarshacks. I can freeze it and leave it out till the next day with NO air bubbles. Changing a receipe that is proven is verrrrrry scary. I to, do not need the huge 50 pound box of Sweetex. I don't do that many cakes.

Thanks again folks!!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 10

Ok I called and the answer I got was this:

Sweetex are filing law suits to any company who repackages the product and sells it in any quantity under 50lb. The product they are selling now is ingredient for ingredient the same as sweetex and they have had no complaint about any difference in end results.

At this time they will not be selling the product in anything but 8lb.

I'll have to ask my instructor next time I go to her store what she plans on selling now, she sells sweetex in 4lb tubs, I've been buying in bulk from TBK

Mikel79 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:12pm
post #9 of 10

dutchy1971....

The email that I was sent said the same thing about the ingredients. Something has to be different though. I hate to have to but a tub just for a test, but it looks as though that is my only option...

Thanks

angelabarton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelabarton Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #10 of 10

I just called TBK today b/c they did not have Sweetex on their website anymore. They told me that Sweetex had lawsuits out against companies that sold their product in less than their 50 lb boxes. So TBK would not be selling it anymore. He did explain that TBK hi ratio shortening is the exact same thing as what Sweetex is just the difference is the brand name. The ingredients word for word were the same, you're just paying for the name.

So, I have been doing research this afternoon and the cheapest place that seems reliable is at fondantsource.com for $84.99 then add S&H. You can find it on Ebay, but I"m unsure b/c of the weather lately to trust a random person on Ebay.

Good luck to those who purchase the smaller containers from TBK, let us know what you think of it and of course how it makes your icing taste like and behave. I too use Sharon SugarShack's Icing Recipe myself.

Thanks!
Angela

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%