Indiana Newbie With A Question

Business By Tina81980 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm by indydebi

Tina81980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina81980 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! I am completely new to this world of caking but extremely excited to learn all that I can. I recently began decorating cupcakes for family functions and it was mentioned that I should try an make a little extra money at it. I have read over the laws and understand that I can't sell from home. (I'm still learning so I am not ready for that kind of full-time selling anyway) My question however is this. I know it states that you can sell at farmers markets and roadside stands but the campground that we use is having a flea market this weekend where we can bring things to sell and I thought about making up a few cupcakes and gourmet apples to sell would this be ok or a big no no? Also I was just going to use box mix and frosting sold in stores for this small project as far as listing ingredients how would I do that? If I can't sell them. I may just make them up and give to friends since we (my husband, son, and myself) enjoy doing them.

Any feedback would be greatly appricated!
Tina

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina81980

Hello everyone! I am completely new to this world of caking but extremely excited to learn all that I can. I recently began decorating cupcakes for family functions and it was mentioned that I should try an make a little extra money at it...
Any feedback would be greatly appricated!
Tina

Here's my thought. I'm gonna shoot real straight so fasten your seat blet.

Selling anything as a business is a planet on a completely different galaxy than producing a wonderful product. I think people are majorly and woefully ill advised to encourage people to go into business and sell things, especially food.

For example, was your house clean? Did they suggest that you take your show down the road and clean other people's houses to make some money?

Have you maintained your children well--so did they suggest that you should open a daycare and make some money at it?

I'm not being mean or anything--I'm just saying--were you successful picking up your kids from school, got your lipstick on straight, you get my drift.

Why on earth should anyone go into business because they can bake a cherry pie, Charming Billy.

No offense but lots of people can bake dynamite and I'm delighted you are one of them.

Opening a business for that reason (of making a good product) is absurd.

I love your idea of doing it for the fun of it--doing it for the thrill of making people happy --that's where it's at!!!

I'm your CakeBuddy and I will help you with whatever I know that I haven't forgotten, but open a business because it's a good idea for you not cause you got a tasty cuppcake out of the oven in one piece.

Now that was "any feedback" like you requested so don't hate me.
Well you can if you want but I mean it in the best way possible.

Tina81980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina81980 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the imput and I do appricate your relpy. Just to clarify though I am in no way looking to start a business, just thought that maybe a few cupcakes and apples could be my contribution to my families booth at the flea market. The reason that I posted this here was due to the laws in my state I did not know if my doing that would be legal.
One day I would like to be good enough to sell cakes, cupcakes etc. but I am not ready for that kind of thing yet. One day maybe but not now.

Thanks again,
Tina

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 5

If it's legal to do for flea markets then you're ok for that right?

The legalities are specific and unique to each individual region so unless there's someone here from your exact locality nobody really knows.

But there's people here who do flea markets & farmer's markets.

Your local flea market people should be able to advise you.

Just list all the ingredients.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 5

The recently pass Flea Market Bill requires that you label your product with the ingredients AND they must be labeled "Not made in an inspected or licensed kitchen" (the wording may not be exact but that's the jist). These must be non-perishable products (low acidity foods, for example) and can only be sold at Farmer's Market or Food Stands.

If you do a search in the forums for "indiana", you will find some other threads that discuss this bill.

Call you local HD to get the details so you can be assured of doing it right. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%