She's Driving Me Crazy

Business By alvarezmom Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm by laceycakes

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #31 of 65

So..........is she going to buy the cupcakes instead? This thread is awesome, it's like watching a soap. alvarezmom this sounds like something I would do. I don't like to tell people no, but dream of smooshing cake in their face when they act this way. Is that wrong?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingmyself

but dream of smooshing cake in their face when they act this way. Is that wrong?

That made me burst out laughing!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #33 of 65

I would tell her that your sheetcakes are cheaper than your wedding cakes because generally they don't require as much contact back and forth with the customer and that time is money and if you're spending too much time phoning and emailing that's time you could spend making $....give her the idea that if she continues you'll have to charge more for the cake!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #34 of 65

sorry, just finished reading all 3 pages and realize now that she wants cupcakes. She's gonna make you put the bat symbol on them......just watch!LOL

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #35 of 65

Of course she wants Batman...she's batty, with bats in her belfry.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Does any one know if there is a Bakers website about copyright laws that I could possibly refer her back to????

I've been thinking about writing just such an article, actually. I get really tired of writing the same post over and over, and people completely misunderstanding copyright law. I'll post a link as soon as it's published--probably not until late tonight at the earliest, though.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I hope costumeczarina sees this--she'll be so proud of me~~

Ha ha ha, is this a reference to listening to your psycho radar? Because mine would have been going off full blast with this customer!

Not only that but I was so honest and direct--didn't beat around the bush like I do talking (cake baking/making) methods with people.

icon_biggrin.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

sorry, just finished reading all 3 pages and realize now that she wants cupcakes. She's gonna make you put the bat symbol on them......just watch!LOL

That's exactly what I thought when I read the cupcake request, but I thought she'd want yellow frosting, then she'd put some Batman cupcake picks in herself.

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Good job and I apologize. I know your a sweety, cause your always a sweety on here. Maybe I need to practice that too...nah, it doesn't work for my sanity! icon_wink.gif

LOL.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #40 of 65

If you keep leaving little "cracks" that she thinks she can crawl thru, she'll peck you to death until you wind up making SOMETHING for her. icon_cool.gif

From what you've said, you don't want to work for her. Only YOU can shut that door completely:

" I'm sorry for any inconvenience. I am not able to do any type of baked goods for you for Sept. 19, 2009. I hope that the bakery I've referred you to can be of some help. All the best, ..............."

Use whatever options you have to block her phone calls & e-mails and move on. If she calls again, you're booked--period.

Not every relationship can end on good terms. She may not like you after this. She may bad mouth you to your mutual friend.

All of that's regrettable, but in the end, you have to be true to yourself and not buckle to someone who doesn't respect you, your time, or your decisions.

Rae

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

All of that's regrettable, but in the end, you have to be true to yourself and not buckle to someone who doesn't respect you, your time, or your decisions.

Rae

judge.gif Well said!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

DING DING DING!!! icon_biggrin.gif You were right!!! icon_biggrin.gif Man, oh, man.... I thought I had her when I priced my cupcakes because she didnt respond. But this morning there she was again. And yes I had told her that with the cupcakes I could put these ring kits that a bakery sells--there like the cake kits, but made for individual cupcakes. They have rings and the bat symbol picks. I guess she read what she wanted which was "bat symbol" because in her very last email she sends me ANOTHER cake of Batman!! Yes, the Character! I told her again I could not and would not do the cake the way she is wanting. I said I emailed her and explained all the few ways that I could do it and she would just have to choose from the two options I gave her. If not then she needed to contact the bakery I suggested or WalMart/HEB.

I really dont mean to leave cracks in my email, BlakesCakes. I am trying to stay professional and civil towards this lady because I am know to get nasty and make ppl cry! I've done it before with my father's new wife and with ppl at wk...then I feel bad and try to make it up to them and end up doing something I dont want to do! I dont want to put myself int hat position.

Yeterday when I tried not respond to her...she started calling our mutual friend. I felt so bad for the friend. Obviously, I dont want her to get involved because it has nothing to do with her.
[/b]

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:22pm
post #43 of 65

At this point you need to finally take a stand. icon_surprised.gif Either do the dang cupcakes with the rings or simply tell her that you cannot do anything for her on that date. Just make a decision and stick to it. If you decide to cut her loose, give your mutual friend a heads-up. Personally, I would just do the darn cupcakes and if/when she ever called again... SORRY, NOT AVAILABLE! icon_twisted.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #44 of 65

This post is to funny....a regular soap opera......Just what part of NO doesn't she understand......

I really feel for you...I commend you for keeping a civil and professional approch to all of this.....I think it's to the point of where I would just see how far she will go.....and she still hasn't given you a deposit?
She's batty allright!

alvarezmom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #45 of 65

So after my last email to inform her yet again that I couldnt do the cake she wanted. She said she would let me know tomorrow or Friday which cupcakes she will be going with!!!

Maybe she got it this time! ? ! ?

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #46 of 65

NO I can guarantee you that she didn't get it. People like that don't listen.
Why are you spending so much time with her if she hasn't even given you a deposit??

I know you are trying to be nice especially because there is a friend involved, however had you sat down and thought about how much time you have already spent talking to and emailing this woman??

You do realize that if you agree to do an order for her, she is going to be one of those people that calls you every day to see how her order is coming along.
And, because you know and we know it will happen, no matter how well you explain to her what you will do, when she receives the cake or cupcakes its still not going to look like what she has in her mind that she wants, shes going to complain about it.

If you go against your better judgment and do an order for this woman, I would make sure that you include a detailed picture of what will be involved and have her sign it that she understands explicitly what the end product will be like.

alvarezmom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #47 of 65

I spoke to soon... Here is her last email...

So u can't do anythin wit batman pic right
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #48 of 65

Please just cut her loose.
I know you said you don't want to lie but tell her you have just received a paid order for that day and you will no longer be able to provide her with your services.

Or tell her that you have a personal obligation that just came up and will not be able to work with her for that date. That obligation can be you taking a mental health day.

alvarezmom Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

Please just cut her loose.
I know you said you don't want to lie but tell her you have just received a paid order for that day and you will no longer be able to provide her with your services.

I plan on telling her that the other lady who was interested in that day has paid me in full and I cant to more than one cake for a day... yeah I really didnt want to lie to her. I guess I'm going to have to.

It's just like you said before.....when she gets the cake/cupcakes she will be picky and complain about how they turned out... I dont want that.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #50 of 65

At noon yesterday, you were elated because you sent an email telling her you couldn't do the cake and you referred her to another bakery. 24 hours later, you're still going back and forth with her? icon_confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Okay, this may sound a little harsh, BUT woman up & tell her you can not do the cake. ......I don't know why business woman feel the need to tip toe & be so accomodating & considerate. Then we wonder why woman don't always get treated the same as men in business.

Amen and high-five, sista!

I've said it over and over .... as little girls, we are taught to be "nice" and not to hurt anyone's feeeeeeeelinnnnnnnngs. And then we go home and whine because no one takes us serious and they won't listen to what we're HINTING at.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #51 of 65
Quote:

Did she really spell it like that? icon_surprised.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Quote:

Did she really spell it like that? icon_surprised.gif

That's "thumb spelling", nobody writes full words when they're texting.

I'd email her back and say that you can't work with her, based on all of your communication up to this point it's obvious that you wouldn't be able to do what she really wants, and you don't want to disappoint her icon_twisted.gif . SOOOO, you can't make her any cakes/cupcakes/batman butt warmers, whatever.

Mensch Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #53 of 65

I write full words when I'm texting. I can't even imagine doing otherwise. I have too much respect for myself, the message recipient and the language.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #54 of 65
Quote:

I write full words when I'm texting. I can't even imagine doing otherwise. I have too much respect for myself, the message recipient and the language.

ditto.

Mensch Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #55 of 65

Batman butt-warmers.

That totally did make my day!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #56 of 65
Quote:

Teachers have started complaining that kids actually turn in school assignments with that kind of texting spelling in them. Not that people know how to spell anymore anyway, but that just makes it worse.
u no wht i mn? icon_wink.gif

I play an online game that my son plays, and when I talk to people on it I'll occasionally write in text language, with all kinds of random abbreviations. When I do that other people think that I'm a kid. I can always tell who's an adult on the game because they generally write in complete sentences!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

u no wht i mn? icon_wink.gif

As somebody who has English as perhaps third or fourth language, I hate to read such messages. I can generally decipher it, but sometimes I have enough problems with complete sentences. Please, please, at least here on CC let us all use complete sentences. In several threads today I have seen texting spelling. icon_surprised.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #58 of 65

Alvarezmom - first let me say that I respect you and think you did the right thing in handling the situation when this woman came at you the first time. But now I have to say that all of this back and forth is happening because you are allowing it to happen. You really were never clear that you could not do the cake; you just gave her alternatives (which she conveniently disregarded) and kept the door open - even it it were just a crack. I have to say that I agree with indydeb about your remarks - you were relieved when you got rid of this woman or thought you had and now you are letting her drive you crazy again. I completely understand and support what you are saying about professionalism, but you are a talented person and don't need this hassle. As another poster said, you will not always conclude business with everyone in a happy tone. Just keep it simple and say unfortunately, I will not be able to do any type of cake/cupcake for your event. You don't owe a yet-to-pay, non-client an explanation. And if you are worried about your friend, just give her a heads up and leave it at that. Remember, folks will only do to us what we allow them to do.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #59 of 65
Quote:

I would just reply with, "I'm sorry, but I can't make you anything at all. Please refer to..." And leave it at that. If she continues to contact you, file a police report for harassment.

But I'm kinda snotty that way. icon_wink.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #60 of 65

I had a customer that did the same thing - called me everyday to see how her cake was coming along - EVERY SINGLE DAY! I got her order done, and made myself unavailable for the next order she wanted. Hopefully she won't order from me ever again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%