Tiffany's Boxes - Petit Fours

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm by Rylan

BlackFlour Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 14

I have a friend who wants me to make her 50th birthday cakes. She is wanting around 75 tiny Tiffany's boxes. So i'm coming to you all for suggestions and help! icon_smile.gif I've never made petite fours, so what do I need to know in advance? I have until February to gather info and practice, don't worry! icon_smile.gif What pan do you use for this? TIA!!! (she wants something like theseicon_smile.gif

13 replies
majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 14

Petite fours are usually cut from a cake - you don't need a special pan. But please think about it well - the tiny cakes mean awful lot of work.
Are you really sure you want to make 75 cakes, 75 ribbons, 75 bows? When yes, I would start with the bows. You can prepare and store them so this part is out of way. What then remains are 75 mini-cakes, 75x cover with poured fondant (depending on size could be made with "normal" fondant, 300x ribbons (2 on top of each cake crosswise, 2 as the bow tails) and putting the 75 bows on the cakes.

Again - think well if you want to do it. This is not creative work, this is line production!

Williamus Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 14

I don't think I'd embark on this project. As the previous poster mentioned, this is a lot of work...big production line. Also, with a petit fours which is sooooo small, there will be an awful lot of fondant with respect to the amount of cake...and quite frankly, fondant isn't that tasty. (I've been at many many weddings where most of the dessert plates have all the cake eaten, and a strip of fondant left over.)

ddaigle Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 14

WOW!!! This is a HUGE project. I have done petit fours many times and the simple ones are a PITA. going to be a labor intensive project. I would probably do a dozen or two if the price was right..but 75? You are a super champ if you do this one. Not to be downer debbie...but I would "run, forrest run!" Good luck ...and be patient.

BlackFlour Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 14

You are all scaring me!! icon_eek.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 14

I've made some before.

It is a lot of work. I made 18 of them and it took me about 5 hours, I think. If I ever did them again I would charge $5 each. I did them with rolled fondant over WASC cake. I baked in a 9x13 and then leveled it, torted it so I had two layers, filled, trimmed the edges off, filled and also frosted the top. Then I put waxed paper onto the buttercream on the top, wrapped it all in plastic wrap and froze it until hard. Cut into squares and stored in the freezer, taking out 2 at a time to cover them.

I don't think I would want to make 75, at least not with rolled fondant. The last two times my sister has asked me to make them again, I have laughed and offered to make cupcakes for her.

majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 14

If you go in such project, you need to go in it with your eyes wide open.
Take in account that regular petit four is 1.5 x 1.5" small. The photo is a mini-cake, not a petit four.
What you can make:
Speak with your friend. Make real petit fours, without fondant accent and with piped ribbons and bows only.
Make mini-cakes. The problems remains, the size is bigger - mini cakes start at single serving size 2"x2"x2". You have more space to put the decorations on it, but nothing else changes.

Speak with your friend and make mini cakes - but 4"x4"x4". But than you wouldn't make 75 of them, but only 19, 20 at most - it is 4x as much cake as the smaller ones. This is much more realistic.

I don't want to scare you, but unless you don't mind very tedious work and your friend doesn't pay you the petit four's weight in gold several times over - it is not worth your time.

Spuddysmom Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 14

Since you have never made petit fours my suggestion is make some this week just "for fun"..... you will see how much "fun" this will be... Afterwards make your decision - maybe you will love it, it won't take much time, you can make good money on them, the tooth fairy will help you decorate, pigs will fly.....

bellabakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 14

you could always try dipping them in liquid fondant rather than covering them in regular fondant to save time

ddaigle Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 14

Spuddysmom icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cookie4 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 14

I would suggest that you use ready made icing in a tub. Microwave it until pouring consistency and then pour over the little cakes which have been either refrigerated or frozen over a cooling rack which was placed over a pan. Refrigerate again and then repour again to give it that smooth seamless look.

Make the fondant bows ahead of time. Yes, this will take some time but icing each little cake and applying roled fondant is way too time consuming. You can do this and they will be just beautiful. I would place each on a small doiley. Good luck and be sure to post your pictures when you complete the project. thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 14

Yeah - I would definitely use poured fondant if you are going to do this!

BlackFlour Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm going to have help on these, as it won't be me all by my lonesome, so that's relieving. What's a great poured fondant recipe? I've actually never used poured fondant, just rolled! Do you put buttercream underneath as well? Thanks again!

Rylan Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 14

Quote by @%username% on %date%