Cake For 1Yo

Decorating By majka_ze Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 7:20am by majka_ze

majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:15am
post #1 of 4

In this month I will make a cake for my younger niece - she will be 1 yo. I have two ideas - either 3D Elmo cake or Teletubbies cake. She likes both, I would prefer Elmo. I hate Teletubbies, she loves them. Elmo could hold a small smash cake, for the other ideas it would be difficult to incorporate it in the design.

But here comes my question - any risk to show her Elmo cake (she would get a handmade Elmo plush toy too) and then to cut in it? Does it upset such a small kid? When I made first birthday cake for my other niece, she was 3yo and it was a Barbie cake (the one with doll in it). No problem there - she got a new Barbie doll and a cake too. All the cakes before were simple round cakes.

How did you decide for your kids?

Should I make either small Elmo from sugarpaste or bite in it and make the Teletubbies cake and forget the 3D idea?

Let me hear your opinions, please.

3 replies
cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 4

I would ask the mom or dad what they think about the situation. And you could always make a small version like you said.

If it helps, my little boy will be 2 in a couple of months. I'm making a Bolt cake for him. (The kid is crazy about Bolt). Anyway, we're going to cut into it. And he will probably be upset. But I'm going to by a little stuffed Bolt for him as well.

Lori00 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:14am
post #3 of 4

How about not cutting it in front of him..or you can let him do it with a plastic elmo knife. I never had a problem with my son cutting the cake no matter what it was. I don't even think they care. Can you make elmo out of cupcakes..that way he won't see anyone cut into him if that is all your worried about.

majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:20am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your help. I will probably abandon the idea of 3D Elmo. Such cakes are beautiful but I am not sure that 1 yo understands that it is cake. My fear isn't that we are "slaughtering" Elmo but that she will see it as a toy and we, the mean adults, will take it away from her. Even having toy Elmo as gift I am not sure this is good idea. And no, this wouldn't work out of cupcakes - this would be hopefully Elmo you wouldn't distinguish from the real thing.

Thank you both,
Majka

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%