Airbrush Spitting Out Dots - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By still_learning Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 1:43am by luvbakin

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:42am
post #1 of 6

Do I need to clean it better? Any advice on how to clean it? Could the pressure be set wrong? I'm using a Kopykake. Thanks!

5 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:28am
post #2 of 6

I use a air brush cleaner that is sold at a local cake decorating shop I would clean it and rinse in warm running water over and over either its clogging some or your needle maybe be set wrong sometimes if you loosen the front part of your tool then tighten it back that will help straight the needle I hope this makes since mine did that once and the front part of my tool was loose

Molly

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:35am
post #3 of 6

I would agree with the last poster. Sounds like it is clogged. Take apart, use a cleaner( I also use a q-tip with cleane to wipte softly over the needle). Try that, and see if that works.

Good luck!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

I just used mine this weekend, and the black Americolor was spitting out dots too, but not the other brand. I did notice that the Americolor was thicker, so maybe I needed to water it down. Try another brand and see if it still happens.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 6

Hook the airbrush back up to the compressor and fill the jar up with water. Turn it on and blow it out with as much pressure as you can for about 30 seconds. Then empty the water and run some cleaner through there the same (you can do like 10 - 15 seconds if the cleaner is expensive).

See if it sputters when blowing just water through. If it does, it might be your compressor or a plugged up brush (should clear up the longer you blow water through it).

If it doesnt, I would look at your Americolor. Are you using airbrush colors or did you mix the gel with alcohol? The first time I mixed gels colors I didn't get them mixed well and it clogged. So I put them in a seperate vile, and shook the daylights out of it with vodka until all the gel was completely diluted. Then I poured it back in the airbrush jar. Makes it nice cause you can save the extra in the vile in case you have a mistake and need a touch up... same color batch.

Finally, and I'm not sure if this can happen.. but if oil and water mix it will spatter like that. I'm not sure if the Americolor is oily, but I wouldn't think so, but mixing it with a little water like after cleaning the jar and not drying it could do that. Try shaking the color bottle to make sure it's good and mixed too.

I'm a newbie with my airbrush, had it since May, only used it twice, but these are from what issues I had with mine so hopefully this might help icon_biggrin.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 6

My problem was definitely the Americolor. Maybe the bottle I had was bad. It was the airbrush color, and not the gel. I didn't have that problem when I immediately switched back to the other brand. Weird.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%