Working With Fondant

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 5:14am by catlharper

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 6

I'v been doing cakes for years, but just starting to work with fondant. I am trying to figure out why anyone would want this on their cake. It looks nice, but it gets hard and horrible after a while. Not very tasty. Am I doing something wrong?? or is this how it is?? I use Wiltons.

5 replies
Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 6

A lot of CC's on here say the Wilton fondant really isn't any good. Marshmellow fondant seems to be a favorite of most but I think it's really sweet. If you go to the recipes and look they have a lot of them for fondant. Homemade fondant actually tastes pretty good and mine didn't get hard. Hope that helps at least a little. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:58am
post #3 of 6

yuck wiltons not taste good....you need to make your own....search the recipes for mmf........I think I use Rhonda's MMF..........my grandaughter loves the stuff

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:59am
post #4 of 6
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:10am
post #5 of 6

Wilton's great when you first start off so you can get a feel for the consistency of fondant. It's pretty easy to work with too but that' all. When it comes to taste it's absolutely horrible.

Try MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant). Add white chocolate to the recipe to make it even tastier. MMF is not bad either but I find it on the sweeter side myself and a quite a bit messier to make.

Here a link that Michele posted with FAQ's on her fondant. She's also included the link to her fondant recipe on it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html+information

I find most people don't like eating fondant because it requires you to chew the icing rather different texture than bc. That is why I always like to have both on my cakes so you can eat it if you like or take it off. I find that with MFF most of it get's eaten.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:14am
post #6 of 6

I just made my first batch of MMF this past weekend for a cake and it turned out wonderfully! I'm a convert, that's for sure, away from the Wilton fondant. MMF is just 16oz of marshmallows, 2 pounds powdered sugar and 2-5 tablespoons of water. Melt the marshmallows in a greased bowl (keep crisco around for your hands while working with the fondant) and melt them in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, for 2.5 mins. At this point add color or flavoring you may wish. Stir in most of the powdered sugar and then dump it out on a sugared surface. Start kneading the rest of the sugar into the marshmallow/sugar combo like you would knead bread. Once it gets to the smooth elastic point then cover it with a light layer of crisco and wrap tightly. Let rest over night in the fridge. The next day you can microwave it for a few seconds (about 10 worked for me) to loosen up the fondant for rekneading and rolling. Now, for me, I worked on a greased surface with a lightly greased rolling pin. Worked beautifully! I'll be doing this from now on. Not only did it taste better but it worked better and it's a whole lot less expensive for marshmallows and powdered sugar! LOL!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%