Fondant On Buttercream?

Decorating By OutofCharacter Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 2:25am by OutofCharacter

OutofCharacter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OutofCharacter Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #1 of 7

I thought fondant or gumpaste on buttercream was a no no? Any thoughts on this issue?

6 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:57am
post #2 of 7

I've never done it myself, but I've seen lots of photo descriptions on here that say "buttercream with fondant accents." So, it must be possible. I hope an expert chimes in with some real advice for you!

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 7

I've done it before with no problems. I just used a small amount of RI to attach the fondant/gumpaste decorations (I had made my decorations in advance, so they were dry...if your fondant was not dry, you might be able to get away with wetting the back with water and then placing it on the side.) With using RI, I just had to be careful not to use too much (but still use enough to hold it) or else the decoration would slide down before it had a chance to dry in place.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 7

It always depends on many factors - the buttercream recipe, the fondant recipe, and your location /weather can play in it too.
When you use crusting buttercream, you are on safer side than with non-crusting. The same, if you put dried fondant pieces on buttercream - it is better than fresh/pliable fondant. Difference can make even how much buttercream there is.

The only way to be sure is to test your buttercream / fondant combo. Put some buttercream on a plate, let it crust / firm up the same you would your iced cake (or not...) and put some fondant accent on it. Store it as you would your cake, for the same time. See for yourself. Only than you can be sure - unless you find somebody who did it already in same conditions - be it as test or on a "real" cake.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofCharacter

I thought fondant or gumpaste on buttercream was a no no? Any thoughts on this issue?

I've always done fondant accents...lace, medallions, swags, etc., on buttercream with no problems.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofCharacter

I've always done fondant accents...lace, medallions, swags, etc., on buttercream with no problems.

I use fondant on buttercream all the time. My "Incredibles" Logo cupcakes, Baby Girl Blocks, Baby Boy Blocks and Air Force Seal pics in my photos are some examples. I just pipe a little buttercream on the back and stick it onto the buttercream iced cake. Works perfectly, even on the sides of the cake.

OutofCharacter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OutofCharacter Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 7

Thank you to all those of you who responded!I will give it a shot. I am new to glogging and look forward to chatting and exchanging idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%