How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By LadyAlmuina Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm by Kandy4283

LadyAlmuina Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 19

Hey guys! I would love if u guys could give me a little advice on how I should go about charging for my work...

Cakes, Cookies, Cupcakes etc...

Thanks alot for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
CookieCupcake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 19

It's funny you should ask...I have the same question. I have been asked to make 200 cookie favor bags (400 cookies) for a wedding in a couple of weeks...any ideas?

niccicola Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #3 of 19

you can estimate how much it would cost in edible ingredients and non-edible materials and then add on a base charge for your time/per-hour charge for how many hours you think you might spend on it.

400 cookies to me would be no less than $600

cakes to me are priced per serving, determined by the Wilton serving chart. $4 per serving, wedding cakes start at $5 per serving

xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 19

You also have to take into account gas/electricity/water bill as well as things like dish washing soap, paper towels etc. . For your time you not only want to account for the time you spent on the baking/decorating but also the time it takes for shopping to buy your supplies, cleaning up after etc. Also include any overhead charges you may have for running a business like licensing/insurance etc. Don't forget the gas $$ it takes to go to the store either. I would use a price matrix or cakeboss software program (price matrix can be found if you do a search for it here) and write in everything to figure out your cost for ingredients, inedible supplies that go into the cake as well as all the costs listed above and any more you can think of and that I've missed.

I would have a price per serving using the standard serving guide (Wilton's) which is a 1x2x4" cake slice (2x2x2 for single layer).

LadyAlmuina Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

you can estimate how much it would cost in edible ingredients and non-edible materials and then add on a base charge for your time/per-hour charge for how many hours you think you might spend on it.

cakes to me are priced per serving, determined by the Wilton serving chart. $4 per serving, wedding cakes start at $5 per serving

So how much would you charge lets say for 24 cupcakes in buttercream and in fonadant...

niccicola Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 19

I would do $3 a piece.

noni12601 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 19

i have to make a wedding cake for saturday they want 3 12in. rounds and grooms cake will be 11x15 german chocolate i have no idea what to charge. i'll be using fresh flowers and i'm using fluffy boiled icing.thanks in advance all advice is greatly appreciated icon_confused.gif

cylstrial Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 19

A lot of pricing really depends on your area. Chances are - someone in California is going to pay a lot more money for a cake then someone in Kansas.

You really should call your local CUSTOM bakeries and see how much they charge. That should give you a good start. =o)

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:22am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlmuina

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

So how much would you charge lets say for 24 cupcakes in buttercream and in fonadant...

I charge $20 per dozen for cuppies iced (pipe with a tip) with sprinkles.
As for the fondant, are they wanting a fondant deco or the cuppie wrapped in fondant, or what??? Need more info.

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noni12601

i have to make a wedding cake for saturday they want 3 12in. rounds and grooms cake will be 11x15 german chocolate i have no idea what to charge. i'll be using fresh flowers and i'm using fluffy boiled icing.thanks in advance all advice is greatly appreciated icon_confused.gif

$74 per round
$120 for the groom's cake
PLUS the cost of the flowers and floral spikes (if you are using those) x 1.5

indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #11 of 19

How big are the cookies? A 3" cookie should be in the $3 price range, x 400 cookies = $1200 plus the cost of the bags plus a labor charge to put them in the bags.

I recently quoted a venue $1800 for 300 cookies because the only cookie cutter in the design they wanted is a HUGE cutter. I forewarned them it was going to be costly and they venue coordinator said, "We know."

Here is the wilton wedding cake serving chart, that I go by to determine pricing: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm Once you determine a price per serving, you can use this chart to find the number of servings per each cake size/tier, times your per-serving-chart to get your price.

noni, are your 12" rounds and your 11x15 single or double layer? Makes a difference when determining number of servings & pricing.

LadyAlmuina Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #12 of 19

So how would you go about minni cupcakes??? lets say 12 with reg. buttercream swirl... How much would u charge? icon_cool.gif

Doug Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:32am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlmuina

So how would you go about minni cupcakes??? lets say 12 with reg. buttercream swirl... How much would u charge? icon_cool.gif

at least the same as a single serving of cake due to the higher amount of labor, time, and materials and specialty pans involved.

wrappers, other than generic, are additional charge.

---------------

see CakeBoss software as a way to get a handle on costing out and pricing your goods.

-----

LadyAlmuina Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:45am
post #14 of 19

You u would to have that order, what would you charge?

Kandy4283 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:12am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

A lot of pricing really depends on your area. Chances are - someone in California is going to pay a lot more money for a cake then someone in Kansas.

You really should call your local CUSTOM bakeries and see how much they charge. That should give you a good start. =o)

I totally agree! I have posted some other stuff on here prior about pricing and got some crazy feed back! Some people were saying I do not charge enough, but for my area, cakes are not but $10-$20!!!!!! VERY CHEAP!!! I actually did a couple cakes that I just recently posted on my cake page and I got a phone call tonight stating that I over charged her! The person that called was actually someone that I know that was at the party (I didn't know they were related to the person I made the cakes for to start with!!!) and they stated that $25 WAS TOO MUCH for a 1/2 sheet pink champagne cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT???!!!! That to me is extremly cheap compared to the bakerys!! I called he lady that I made the cake for to make sure that everything was ok with it and she will not answer! I told her ahead of time the price of the cake and she was totally ok with it and at the party she was cutting me down......just want to touch base with her on it, is that wrong og me to do or should i just leave her alone about it????? OMG!!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:27am
post #16 of 19

This is one of those moments I would want to tell someone to kiss my a@@! If price was okay, and they paid, then they need to shut up! And you are real cheap, cause she would have never got a cake out of me for $25. And you shouldn't worry about it, cuase your not gonna be able to make her happy now. Heck, that what Wal-Mart charges!

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Heck, that what Wal-Mart charges!

Shoot, my walmart charges $29 for a "half sheet" and it's not even a half sheet!! It's an 11x15 (or I think it's really a 10x14 .... I'm bringing my tape measure next time!) icon_surprised.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #18 of 19

My prices are what is listed and since every cake is a custom cake meaning the customers adds this or that..the price is never the same for every customer unless they see the pic and want the exact same cake...I have never had anyone email or phone to complain about what I charged them or aunt Nora down the road!!

Kandy4283 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #19 of 19

She has not called me back or nothing so I am just going to let it be! And yes, I thaught that was kind of cheap for a champagne cake too...but whatever, right?!?!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%