Tacky, Ugly Or Unique?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm by JenniferMI

Rylan Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #1 of 52

I joined an online cake decorating contest and the theme is "candies".

When you think of candies, you think of colorful, whimsical and fun cakes. Since I always want to challenge myself, I wanted to give it a little twist and make a fashion cake out of it.

I used Twizzlers Pull and Peel, Red Vines black licorice and Haribo Rasberry "gummi" candies.

Twizzlers are pulled apart to get strings (red part of the cake) and wrapped the cake with it. The Red Vines black licorice is the border on the top edge and the Haribo Rasberry candies are cut in half, painted and used as centers for the flower.

I purposely gave the ribbon a lot of streaks to give it that unique vintage feel. The cake kind of looks gothic as well.

Here is the cake I came up with: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1450996

If the link doesn't work, it is my last fondant cake in my photos (red, black and white).

Does it look tacky or unique? Does the ball of flowers look like a huge round garbage? I took the picture in an angle so the flowers look bigger.

Let me know what you think.

51 replies
patticakesnc Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 52

Very creative use of the candies. I like everything except the silver on the black. I am not feeling that. I think some pearl dust would have given that a better effect.

As far as candies, I would have thought more pinks, purples, yellows, oranges, and greens. Just thing of a big lollipop!

Bluehue Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 52

Rylan - as i mentioned in your photo gallery - i think the touches of Red are a highlight and *no* the Flower Ball doesn't look garbage.
Good for you for thinking *outside the square* - thumbs_up.gif

Very unique.
Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Jen80 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 52

I think you did a great job! thumbs_up.gif

Do you get a chance to explain what it is all made out of?
Because I don't think that they would know that the decorations are all made out of candies just by looking at it.

You did such a good job. Very sophisticated and fashionable for a candy cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 52

Thanks for the feebacks Patty, Bleuhue and Jen. I think that this cake isn't for everyone. I think you have to have a certain taste to like it and unfortunately I didn't.

Yes, Jen. That was my main concern. I did explain it to them and hopefully they get it.

patticakesnc Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #6 of 52

Don't get me wrong. The cake is wonderful. I think you do amazing work. I am just thinking the silver takes away..at least in the picture. It overpowers the red in my opinion. I do love the topper though and the folds in the fondant.

I just think more childish colors when I think of candy.

Bluehue Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 52
Originally Posted by Rylan

Thanks for the feebacks Patty and Bleuhue. I think that this cake isn't for everyone. I think you have to have a certain taste to like it, unfortunaltey I didn't.

Really !!! icon_surprised.gif
Is that because you *made it* as you went along - or did you have it pictured in your mind to begin with?
I think it looks clean - due to the black and white with just a touch of red.

Sometimes if we work on a cake for some time - just looking looking looking at it, we become our own worst critique.

Soooo, have you had any feedback from the on line comp yet?

Rylan Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:35am
post #8 of 52

Oh no, I didn't get you wrong Patty =]. I decided to use a different palette of colors rather than something that is expected.

Bluehue, I did have a picture to begin with and unfortunately it wasn'y succefully done. I believe the contest starts tomorrow since today is the last submission.

Don't you all have those moments where you sit down and look at your cake and then started hating it the longer you see it? I'm having that one right now and I just feel so down.

letsgetcaking Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #9 of 52

I think it's gorgeous and very unique! I actually like the vintage/gothic look. I hope you win!

Bluehue Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #10 of 52
Originally Posted by Rylan

Don't you all have those moments where you sit down and look at your cake and then started hating it the longer you see it? I'm having that one right now and I just feel so down.

Stop looking at it -
And yes, we all do that - welllll, i do....icon_smile.gif

Don't feel down - be proud that you designed and created a cake that NO ONE has ever made before -
Go pop the kettle on and go outside and beath in - thumbs_up.gif

We see it through *viewing eyes*
You see it through the makers eyes - so of course we don't see what you do.

ITS GREAT - NOW GO HAVE A CUPPA - icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

messy_chef Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #11 of 52

I LOVE it!

Criola Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #12 of 52

It's gorgeous! great work!

Mme_K Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #13 of 52

I think it's unique! Terrific! To me the silver just adds to it.... gives it a pewter effect. Wonderful cake! Good luck in the contest. thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #14 of 52

Since you said honest opinion, I'll give you mine. I LIKE IT! thumbs_up.gif Whe you first described it, I thought TACKY. I just couldn't picture all the licorice parts and all that. BUT I saw it. It was nothing like I pictured. I think it's elegant, yet with a sopisticated edge. the flowers are great. I love how you used the candy with out it looking like candy. The silver looks fine to me. I think that is definetly a preference thing. I can also see it with pearl dust. Walk away from the cake like someone else said earlier.

makeminepink Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:29am
post #15 of 52

It's great! Very unique-- unique is good. I do the same thing-- I think many of us do. The longer you work on a cake and the later it gets-- you want to have a meltdown like I did the other night. And then-- thank you God--- it passes. It always seems to come back with a future cake, but it passes for awhile! icon_smile.gif

AverageMom Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:30am
post #16 of 52

Rylan, I love it! My favourite part is the rope licorice. I really like the effect it gives around the edges like that!

PinkZiab Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:36am
post #17 of 52

Honestly, I love it... I think you did an awesome job. The only part I'm not feeling is the silver dust. I would've rather seen it as a subtle shimmer/pearl effect. But overall, I'd say this cake is great!

sugarandslice Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:54am
post #18 of 52

I think the flowers on top are phenomenal!!
Awesome job

iownajane Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:30am
post #19 of 52

I'm late answering here,and not so experienced,but I think you did an awesome job! (I'd love to know exactly what you used for the flowers...they're perfect!)
Like someone else said...walk away from it,and go back...it may not be everybody's taste,but nothing ever is...You're too self critical...I think it's stunning ,partly because it's different!

GottaLuvCake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:00am
post #20 of 52

Honestly, i like it, and maybe if i were to change anything ?? maybe i would have left the haribou raspberries red. Otherwise i want to know what your trick was to getting the licorice twists to bend and stay???

Reimagining_Confections Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:33am
post #21 of 52

Really neat and definitely unique, but I feel like I need one or two of those top flowers farther down on the cake with the blacker color to tie in. Just my 2 cents.

Great job and good luck.

Lcubed82 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #22 of 52

Very cool! I like the candy parts, but I would love to know how to do the pleats?!

Rylan Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:44pm
post #23 of 52

Thanks to all for the feedbacks, I appreciate it. You are all right, I need to stay away from looking at the picture because I never get that satisfaction I always look for. Also, my favorite things about the cake are the ones some of you said you didn't like heheh. I guess my taste is very different. My aim is to do something designer. Something you see in a runway that isn't very wearable anywhere.

Anyways, I decided to deconstruct the cake so I don't have to look at it anymore.

As for the questions some of you asked:

-I cut the black licorice in half and secured it to the cake by using toothpicks.

-The flowers I made by cutting out 4 strips (4x1) of gumpaste and folding it to look like ruffles. I then put them all together and stuck the berry in the center.

-The pleats are made by cutting long strips of fondant and attaching it to the cake (then layer it)

Gingoodies Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #24 of 52

Rylan, first let me say that your cake is great. (not such a fan of the silver on the bows, but I know you were going for a particular look).

That aside, I must ask you... Why on earth do you set yourself up for frustration every time you make a cake.??? If you can never be satisfied with the result and never see the true beauty of your creation, why do it?
Out of all the cakes you have posted/talked about on CC (that you have made) I cannot recall you being happy about any one of them.

Personally, if I did not get enjoyment out of doing this and liking my finished product, I wouldn't be doing it anymore.

I think, I just wish you would lighten up on yourself a little. I give you a lot of credit for trying the things you do. AND... you produce FABULOUS cakes. thumbs_up.gif Let yourself go girl!

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:41pm
post #25 of 52

Tres elegant!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:47am
post #26 of 52

Thanks again Ginny and Theresa.

I just recieved a message from my inbox with ths same question asking me, "why do you keep making cakes if you are always unsatisfied?".

Well, my answer is really simple. I'm not going to quit because I love decorating cakes. I am not giving up.

When I start a cake, I hope that it will turn great in the end but unfortunately, it doesn't. The reason for that is-- Everytime I make a cake, I will always try something new/different. When I make my cakes, I don't go for something that has been done repeatedly. I always want to try new techniques on every cake and I always don't get what I have pictured, making me feel unsatisfied.

Does that seem clear?

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #27 of 52

Rylan -

I can understand wanting to challenge yourself, but by moving on to the next technique just after finishing the last one, you are not allowing yourself adequate time to master the first technique. Hence, the dissatisfaction, in your eyes, because the technique is not up to your expectations.

There's nothing wrong with challenging yourself, I do it all the time, too. But slow down long enough to get a full grasp on what you're trying to accomplish before you move on.

My personal opinion? You over-think yourself and your projects, therefore putting too much pressure on yourself, and seeing mistakes that aren't really there. I have yet to see inadequate work from you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Malakin Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #28 of 52

Rylan, first I love your cakes. I agree with you though. It's a love hate relationship. I always end up frustrated, aggravated, I never like my final product, am always dissapointed with myself, I keep thinking I know I could do better..........but I love doing it. I don't feel I would ever improve any at all if I thought every cake I did was perfect or if I was completely satisfied (or even close to it) every time I finished one if I didn't push myself to be better each time I take it upon myself to create another cake.

Loucinda Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:03am
post #29 of 52

Rylan - I think you like getting LOTS of views on your cakes.....maybe that is the satisfaction you are craving/looking for? I don't know - you are obviusly very talented, it is sad you don't see it.

mkolmar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #30 of 52

I actually rally like it, kind of goth, but I totally dig it. The silver is a little bright maybe a little less on the bows and centers of flowers or a pearl shimmer. I bet if my daughter was to see this she would be asking me to make it. Good work, as always. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%