Red Chocolate Cream Sauce

Baking By cakecrazy09 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 2:05am by CuppaCake

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #1 of 2

I have a customer that wants mini red velvet cakes with a red choolate cream sauce. She will heat and serve the sauce over the tops of the mini cakes. Any idea how I would make the sauce for her to heat and serve at the party?

1 reply
CuppaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuppaCake Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 2

Okay, just coincidentally, I was looking for a recipe today for a Halloween party I'm planning and found a recipe for Chocolate Blood..so given you'll be well stocked for red coloring given the Red Velvet, see below for a link to the site. I think the recipe for something like the Decadent Chocolate Blood could be tasty if you were to add some bitter dark chocolate. Good Luck!

http://www.shades-of-night.com/larp/blood.html#choclate

Chocolate Blood
I was promised the recipe years ago, but only came across it quite recently. It was worth the wait. The mixture may seem odd, but it tastes pretty good, looks surprisingly like real blood, splatters like real blood, dries like real blood, and had several people asking me if I was really okay after that staged fight....
⢠ 1/2 cup water
⢠ 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
⢠ 3 or 4 tablespoon corn syrup
⢠ 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red food coloring
⢠ 2 drops yellow or green food coloring (optional)
Mix the cocoa powder thoroughly into the water before adding the other ingredients - it may help to use warm water. After adding the rest, blend the concoction well, and then wait for it to settle a bit. Either skim the bubbles & chocolate scum off the top with the edge of a kleenex, or pour the mixture into another container. The longer it sits, the more the cocoa tends to settle to the bottom, which oddly mimics the effect of real blood seperating.
If you splatter this mixture onto cloth, it makes neat two-part marks which dry into pretty convincing bloodstains. If you let it run from a victim's mouth and then let it dry, the blood darkens and cakes to the skin in much the same way real blood does. I can also say from personal experience that any washcloth used to wipe down the 'bloody' face afterwards looks remarkably realistic, too.
The recipe is simple: Buy a bottle of chocolate syrup (Nestle Quick Chocolate Syrup ws the suggestion given), and a bottle of red food coloring. Pour out as much chocolate syrup as you need, and mix the food coloring into it directly. The result is an opaque, deep deep red, liquid which runs and drools well, and looks very realistic as blood stains on cloth. One big warning: It DOES stain. Don't use it on anything you can't afford to lose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%