Buttercream Frosting Disaster

Decorating By sisters77 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm by sisters77

sisters77 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 8

can someone let me know why when i frost my cakes the frosting doesn't stick to the cake and comes along with the spatula? Plz help!!!!! What could be the problem? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 8

first reason is probably that the frosting isn't thin enough, consistency wise. Also, if you use Crisco, since they took out the trans fats, icing tends to not want to stick to the cake. (is there anything that has shortening in it that is even remotely healthy, so why take out the trans fats icon_confused.gif --sorry- personal pet peeve)

sisters77 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 8

thanks for the respond! But. yes i use crisco, so what do you reccomend me to use for the shortening?

tigerhawk83 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 8

many here recommend the store brand shortenings - unlike name brand Crisco, these were not reformulated to remove the transfats. there are also recipes using hi-ratio shortening, but this isn't a supermarket product, at least where I live, so I would try the store brand all-vegetable shortening first.

SugarFrosted Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 8

Just thin your icing with a tiny bit of water. Also I recommend using the Icer (#789) tip in a 16" or 18" bag. The icing is squeezed out in a long strip about 1/4" thick by 2" wide. After you cover the cake with the strips, you gently smooth the lines together.

lthiele Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 8

IF you dont have the icing tip, it also helps to load LOTS of icing onto your spatula when applying it to the cake, so the spatula is pushing on icing and not pulling it off your cake. Put lots on and then you can take some off if need be. HTH icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 8

I add corn syrup to my frosting and since doing that I have not had the "not sticking" issue.

sisters77 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone for your tips. I will try it as soon as possible

Quote by @%username% on %date%