Question About Wasc Popularity

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm by txnonnie

Lovemesomecake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #1 of 12

I've never tried making WASC. What makes it so popular? Is it just really good? Does it make a pretty sturdy cake?? I'm just wondering what all the extra ingredients add to the regular white box mix??

11 replies
MissCathcart Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #2 of 12

I'm glad you asked that question. I want to know too.

TalinaRae Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 12
Originally Posted by MissCathcart

I'm glad you asked that question. I want to know too.

I just spent a week reading this thread:

it goes into great detail about WASC and a bunch of flavor substitutions.

The recipes are summed up in this google doc:

Normita Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 12

I have made the WASC and its different variations many times. I think the recipe is super easy and it comes out very moist and delicious. The sour cream adds extra moistness to it. As far as sturdiness goes, its not a crumbly cake so you might get away with doing some minor carving (semi frozen). But if you are going to be going with like a TT or more a more complicated carving, you can go with a pound cake or go with the durable cake recipe on this site. It is something similar to the WASC, both start with a box mix. You should try it out for yourself. Not everyone is a fan of the WASC...but you will never know if you are until you try it out!!

grandmom Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 12

I think the end product is totally different from the plain box mix. The WASC is much more dense, therefore sturdy, and quite moist. The box mix is light and airy. I find the WASC much more flavorful, and can find no hint of that box mix off-taste.

I and my DH love it. He was very resistant to trying a doctored mix as he likes my scratch cakes, but he is a convert! I took a WASC to my coworkers today and they all loved it. One fellow commented he had never had such a dense white cake and he really liked it this way.

Just try it. Halve the recipe to make an 8-inch two layer cake.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #6 of 12

Personally, I think it is just OK. I like the DH butter recipe with a little added flavor. I recently made the WASC recipe after hearing so much about it. The family panned it and asked that I go back to my old cake.

Loucinda Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 12

That is hands down my most popular flavor. I have also used it for TT cakes with no problem. It is a dense cake - and tastes wonderful.

onlymadaresane Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 12

I too absolutely LOVE this cake! It's soo yummy! Dense, moist and flavorful! The flavor combos are endless!

sweet-thing Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 12

I may be the odd man out here but I am not a fan of it at all. I think just like anything it comes down to personal taste. I don't like the texture of it myself.

lillermom Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 12

It all comes down to what kind of texture you like in a cake. Personally I love how moist and light boxed cakes are and when I made WASC it came out very dense which I don't prefer. The flavor was great but I just don't care for the heaviness of it.

Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #11 of 12

It tastes good. Give the original recipe a try.

txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 12

It is much more dense than the box mix itself. I have used it and people said it was good. It was good for carving. I'm not totally sure what my verdict is as of yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%