Ri Expiration Date

Decorating By yiyo21 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 7:07am by yiyo21

yiyo21 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 5

does anyone knows how long RI last in the refrigerator?? I have some that i want to use to decorate cookies but it has been there for almost a month...
I used wilton recipe.

Thanks!! icon_wink.gif

4 replies
antonia74 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #2 of 5

It's most likely totally fine.

Your best indication is to smell it. If it's not okay it will smell almost alcoholic....and 1 month is no problem if you used meringue powder and not fresh egg whites.

Storing it in the fridge may well mean you will have to add a little more icing sugar to it when you mix it up. The fridge changes the consistency as it sits and it's often a little thin when you go to re-beat it. thumbs_up.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

It's most likely totally fine.

Your best indication is to smell it. If it's not okay it will smell almost alcoholic....and 1 month is no problem if you used meringue powder and not fresh egg whites.

Storing it in the fridge may well mean you will have to add a little more icing sugar to it when you mix it up. The fridge changes the consistency as it sits and it's often a little thin when you go to re-beat it. thumbs_up.gif

Hi Antonia74, may I ask how long it is shelf safe if you used Meringue Powder and not egg whites?

Thank you!

antonia74 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #4 of 5

Depending on how you store it, I make mine using meringue powder and it's fine outside of the fridge for weeks (say 4-6)....though I usually use mine up again within 2-3 weeks for another project. In the fridge, I find it gets thin and watery....I don't recommend it. I tried it in the very beginning and I found it ruined my deep/dark coloured royal icing. The freezer would be my second choice.

Your storage of it is the main factor though. It must be air-tight, completely sealed, sterile container, stored in a cool area, out of direct sunlight.

yiyo21 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:07am
post #5 of 5

Thanks a lot!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%