How Do I Make A Stand-Up Monogram Topper?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm by icer101

emlashlee Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 7

I've searched around and can't find a complete set of monogram instructions. Can you please help? I want to make a silver "J" topper for a 50th birthday. Am I right to do a 50/50 gumpaste-fondant mix, stick a lollipop stick or skewer into the topper, then let it dry? How do I make it silver? Your help is very much needed and appreciated!!!

6 replies
annacakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 7

I would probably use 100% Gum Paste. Dries harder and faster and yes, attach to a sucker stick. Silver Pearl Dust!

emlashlee Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by annacakes

I would probably use 100% Gum Paste. Dries harder and faster and yes, attach to a sucker stick. Silver Pearl Dust!

Oh, thank you, thank you! icon_smile.gif How do I get the pearl dust to stick to the letter?

MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 7

You can paint the letter with dry pearl dust or you can mix the pearl dust in some extract, and 'wet' paint it on.

MrCake01 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 7

Hey emlashlee,
You may could try color flow. It would dry very smooth and silky. It will also be very brittle but if you put it on at the last minute when the cake has been placed it think it would be great. It will give you a rounded look and be very classy.
Goodluck
Mrcake01

emlashlee Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 7

I appreciate you all so much! Seriously, my blood pressure has dropped and I am breathing normally again. I think I can do this. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 7

i would use the g/p ... use a skewer. twist it up into the monogram.. i did this on the road of life cake in my pics.. let it dry a couple of days.. into your cake it goes.. allow for ever how big the monogram is.. mine were the nos. 40 hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%