Could Anything Else Go Wrong? (Long)

Decorating By Adevag Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm by LaBellaFlor

Adevag Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 16

I was making a princess castle cake for a person I don't know well. I don't charge and she knew I was looking to make cakes to gain more experience. I was excited to be making a cake and planned it well. I had made many detailed things ahead of time and it seemed like it was going to be a great turnout. When it came close to the date everything turned and was against me. It started with my kids being sick and needy so I got a late start. Then our a/c broke and it is HOT, STICKY and HUMID. All of a sudden the fun was gone. I am scared the fondant will "melt" in the heat. So I decided to stay up all night when I'm alone and can work without interruption. At 4 am our fire alarm goes off. We live on the sixth floor. I hear the fire trucks and I smell something burning. I tell my husband to grab our oldest son, I carry the two younger ones and when we open our door there is black smoke everywhere. We go down the stairs (it was smoke free in there) and got out ok. It took 2 hrs until we were allowed back in the building and by then I knew I was not going to make it. Our electricity was out so that means no phones, no TV, no a/c and no computer. I hurried so much. Not to get the cake finished but just to present a cake for the birthday party and if I had time I would have sat down and cried but I was so late. I had to call my husband at work to have him go online and get her address and phone nr. I did not get to make the cake that I planned. Only used half of what I had prepared. It was not fun to deliver something that did not represent me. When I got to the car, our gps broke. (why would that happen?) All odds were against me. I had stayed up all night and was stressed out of my mind. I delivered the cake and when I came back home I noticed a rash on my arm. Throughout the day this spread to my legs etc. I have never had anything wrong with my skin ever but it is called hives from stress. It itches and burns and was a horrible ending to this. Probably from too much stress and a lack of sleep. I had looked forward to making this cake and I did not even get to enjoy making it. My first cake disaster, and I was just starting to learn...

15 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 16

Oh, I'm sorry you had such a terrible time! I looked at your photos and your cakes are beautiful, so don't let one bad experience discourage you. It sounds like everything was against you, and despite all the odds you still managed to throw together a cake for the party, which is pretty amazing.

I have had my air conditioner go out too and there's really not much you can do when that happens.

So what was on fire?

aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 16

((((hugs to you))))) i am so sorry to hear about your troubles. i peaked at your pictures and you do lovely work. all i can say, is keep going. you are very talented and take this as a learning experience.
glad to hear you and your family are ok. that must have been very scarey.
best of luck to you on your future cakes!

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 16

OMG, if it was a movie, no one would believe it! icon_surprised.gif What a night!!

Fire is my big hot button anyway, so I'm so glad to hear everyone got out ok. (My parents had 2 housefires by the time I was 14. Both were landlord negligence.)

Cozy up with my friend Bob. He goes by "Robert". Robert Mondavi! icon_biggrin.gif You've earned it!

Uniqueask Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 16

((( Hugs))) I looked at your pictures, and your cakes are beautiful, I am so very glad to hear you and your family are ok, I am sure your friend appreciates you for the cake, even though it is not the one that was planned, we sometimes have bad days, keep your chin up, and Happy Caking

nanikins Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 16

Gracious, girl! The fact that you had a cake at all is a testament to your strength and dedication. You just relax and take an oatmeal bath...and get a nap.

G_Cakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 16

Wow hun, first off let me start by giving you a great big HUG!!!!!!

Now, I was raised to believe that in every negative there is a positive waiting to be discovered and I just wanted to shed some light on the positives.

First off, you gave your everything to finish that cake and you werent charging for it so they are not out any money. Your dedication is what comes shining through there and I am sure that the intended recipient knows and sees that.

Now there was a fire in the building, wow now thats a scary thought for anyone and you and your entire family made it out alive and in one piece! (thanks goodness)

Now regarding the GPS, well its electronic and mine dies on me all the time and wont even hold a charge anymore. Is it under warranty? if so then hey just get it fixed or replaced right?

Your hives well those were just your bodies way of saying SLOW DOWN and take a deep breath. Now you know what your body can or can not handle in a stressful situation, most people dont learn that until something more serious like a heart attack strikes.

As for your first cake disaster, well I hate to tell ya but it probably wont be the last, we all have them and sometimes one right after the other too.
But at least you got it out of the way icon_smile.gif

I am glad that you enjoy baking and decorating cakes, dont let this event discourage you from trying it again. One day you will look back on this and Laugh (maybe not today but soon) and the best part never QUIT!!!! and for that you should be very proud.

Big HUG again and cant wait to see some of your future creations icon_smile.gif

Miss Lizzy

Adevag Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 16

thank you. I did not even take a picture of this cake because it was not something I was happy with. The fire was on our floor but I don't know the cause. Our hallway still smells really bad, like burnt rubber or something. The apartment is empty and they have fans blowing and stuff. I just received an email from the mother I delivered the cake to and I was afraid to open it. I was so surprised that she thanked me for the "Beautiful cake" and asked me if I could make one for her son's birthday in September. I have no idea why. I told myself not to make any more cakes but now I feel I have a chance to make her something I am proud of as well. Hopefully I can get rid of these hives so I don't look like a freak. (I know this is off topic but I did some research online and learned that our skin is our largest organ is is very sensitive to things like stress and sleep.) Thanks again.

majka_ze Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 16

You got through this with grace! There are times everything goes wrong and all seems to go against you.

I hope this was your big cake disaster and there won't be another one in your life.

Keep going! A sign of an excellent baker (and decorator) is not what they can make when everything goes well but how they can keep cool (at least seemingly) on their worst day.

pattigunter Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 16

I think its amazing that you managed to get any cake at all done! Kudos to you for being so diligent... icon_biggrin.gif

nanikins Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 16

And just think...

What are the chances of ALL of that happening at once. Pretty slim,'ll likely never have to deal with that much disaster at once again. So, the next "disaster" you have will seem like a piece of cake!

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 16

I forgot to even mention this...take benadryl for the hives. Every four hours, take two benadryl. Not claratin, but plain old benadryl. Oatmeal baths will help too, but what helps the most is to get in the shower as hot as you can stand it and stay a while. It will make the itching worse for a few minutes but it gets your body to release a lot of histamines and then you'll have a much more comfortable few hours after that.

My kids get hives sometimes, usually from a specific red dye they're allergic to.

Adevag Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 16

thank you again for all the advice. I should have thought of oatmeal. I know they sell it for kids (Aveeno) for chicken pox and my friend uses it for her kids to soothe their eczema. I will send my husband to the store tomorrow.

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 16

You can use regular instant oats. Tie it up in a piece of gauze or net fabric and just drop it in the bath. icon_biggrin.gif Cheaper and you've probably got it at home already. My pet hedgehog has to have oatmeal baths and I'm not about to buy Aveeno for a hedgehog, so I looked around for a cheaper solution and that was it.

miss_sweetstory Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 16
Originally Posted by Adevag

I delivered the cake

Despite all of the craziness, just remember those words. If you can deliver a cake in those circumstances, you can overcome just about anything. Kudos and hugs to you. I'm so glad that you and your family are all safe... that's the most important thing.

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #16 of 16

Aveen for a hedgehog?! That would have been too funny! (just picturing a hedgehog relaxing in a suana tub with aveeno, sighing...can hedgehogs sigh?)

And be proud, you are definetly a tooper!. I amazed that you were able to delivere anything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%