Different Colored Sugars??

Decorating By kettlevalleygirl Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm by hjustesen

kettlevalleygirl Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 7

I want to buy the different sizes and colors of "Sanding" Sugars or Crystal like sugars in bulk, perhaps 5lb containers or so. Does anybody know where I can get them, perhaps a wholesaler, preferably in Canada????

6 replies
Uniqueask Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 7

I don,t live in Canada But I color My own, much, much cheaper, or you can buy the white in bulk and color it

hjustesen Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 7

How do you color your own? Do you have to use a liquid color or dilute your gel color? Don't you have a problem with them melting? This would be great when you want to sugar to match something.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 7

thanks, I would be interested in how to also...

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 7

Decopac or Bakery Crafts would be a good resource for you. They sell several different colors in 8# boxes.

Uniqueask Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 7

Sorry it took me so long to reply, did not know they were other interested parties, someone PM'd me and I replied.

You can use white household sugar, or sanding sugar if you need more sparkle, they sell the white in bulk, (Sanding Sugar that is), Put the amont of sugar you need in a sandwich-sized, zip-top bag, start with 2 to 3 tablespoons you can always make more, add a drop or two of food coloring, then seal the bag and massage it to mix the ingredients, In a couple of minutes, the coloring will evenly saturate to the sugar, If you are using gel color (which is more vibrant than liquid food coloring), a drop may be all you need, it is easy to add more but impossible to take out, start with less, and add as needed, seal in an airtight container, I had mine since last christmas and it is still good

hjustesen Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! I'll have to give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%