Amazing Wedding Cakes...is It Just Me?

Lounge By MrsNancyB1 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 1:15pm by wrightway777

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 77

Or are some of these cakes not so amazing? icon_confused.gif

I've caught wind of a couple of episodes, and when the show features the cakes near the end of the show, you can see some of the cakes with sagging fondant, uneven decorations, messy bows. It's just....weird. I'm sure there are some of us right here on CC who can decorate much cleaner cakes.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

76 replies
AnnaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaJo Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 77

No you are not a lone. I feel the same way. It is not alway so amazing some are just so ugly.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 77

I have to agree also. I think some of our CC friends do much better work than some of the cakes that I have seen. Some of them look especially sloppy.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 77

Peronsally, I like a lot of the cakes. And heres my thing on a "perfect" looking cake, very rare. Its the over-all look that gives the impression of perfection.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 77

No I just said last night I saw many cakes that were way better than those. I always like Christophers cakes.....but that one left me kinda bla.....even Marys fountain was a bit dorky lol......and I know I see better cars.....so nope your not alone in thinking that.........thats not to say everyone will agree with us either, its just, your not alone

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 77

I do agree totally on the car ! I thought it SU##ED!. But I loved the fountain. It looked just like a Persian fountain. I did expect a little more mosaic, but I can only imagine what that would have cost to do.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 77

I thought it looked better before MAry painted the wires with royal icing though....

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 77

Yeah, I thought the cake could have did with out the royal icing wires, but I still loved it.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 77

Yeah, I agree about the royal icing on the wire. It just became the focal point of the whole cake, and it looked very messy.

The car was seriously laughable. The first attempt looked extremely amateurish, and then the second one looked so small and not at all in proportion.

Christopher's cakes are good, although yesterday's lace dress had messy quilting, and the paint on the quilting was totally uneven. icon_confused.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 77

Anyone who taped it or tivo'd it -

If you watch the Persian fountain portions, when she is removing the tape from the middle tier, does it look like the corner on the right of the screen was incorrectly masked? It looks lower to me than the rest of the sections. I wonder if that's why they jumped to the other side of the cake so quickly.

I have to give her employee, Ben, props. For someone who said he knew nothing about rolled fondant when he started there, he sure does some smooth work.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 77

ack. i didn't DVR it and i fell asleep halfway through. i missed how they all turned out icon_sad.gif i will have to do some googling icon_smile.gif i am with LaBellaFlor that I usually like all of the cakes.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 77

What channels was it aired on?

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 77

It's on WE Tv.

Darn I missed it, I wanted to see that fountain!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #14 of 77

It's on WeTV, if that helps.

I thought if the royal icing "water" was tinted blue before she piped it on, it would have been less....distracting? Other than that part, I liked the cake. I thought the slight imperfections gave it that timeworn look that you would probably see in a real Persian fountain.

I thought Christopher's cake was excellent, especially given the hideous dress he had to work from.

I think the first car that Laurie did was a set-up, and she had planned her new, improved version all along.

JMO

holly4409 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

I thought Christopher's cake was excellent, especially given the hideous dress he had to work from.

i kinda liked the dress... although sometimes i question my taste icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 77

i actually liked that dress, too. i liked christopher garren's cake. loved the fountain... without the stupid royal icing wires. way too distracting. the car did not amaze me at all.

i, too, feel like those cakes are not all that great most of the time. don't get me wrong, some are beautiful... it's just kinda hit or miss most of the time.

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #17 of 77

I think we see these people and expect perfection, but I just want everyone to know, it doesn't exist. You gotta admire them for their skill & level of creativity. Some people can only decorate straight from a picture.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:12pm
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I think we see these people and expect perfection, but I just want everyone to know, it doesn't exist. You gotta admire them for their skill & level of creativity. Some people can only decorate straight from a picture.

I think the criticism comes from the fact these people are on TV. For instance, Buddy is extremely creative too, but in addition, his cakes are extremely neat and clean. In my opinion, that makes him worthy of appearing on TV.

I always thought that TV producers wanted to showcase people who were at the very top of their game. While the people featured on Amazing Wedding Cakes may be creative, their work is far from clean. (at least from the couple of episodes that I've seen)

Also, just as an aside, the lady that did the car cake was neither creative nor all that skilled...since she was making a replica as opposed to her own creation. I was truly scratching my head as to why she was featured on this show. icon_confused.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 77

The lady who made the car (can't remember her name) was on last season, but was actually partnered with someone else. She is supposed to have a very unique style & she's very much a perfectionist. I don't think she lacks creativity for making a car cake from a picture, thats what was requested. What it does require is skill. That actually is the only cake I've seen her make that looked that bad. Obvious cake sculpting is not her forte. These people have gained their reputation from getting well know in their area and then getting national reconition. Do I expect more from them, sure, they make a lot of money for what they do. Do I expect perfection, no. It's cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #20 of 77

I enjoy watching that show more than some of the other cake shows, because it shows the process of making the cake without (necessarily) trying to "drama it up." No, the cakes aren't all going to be super clean/proportional/100% perfect, but it's cake, which is not always forgiving, as we all know.

The cakes on there are better than mine, anyway, IMO, and I can always learn from something that I see on there. (Last night I learned that the guy in the Cake Divas shop has probably never seen Margaret Braun's cakes, since he said "nobody else is doing this kind of stuff", and the fountain cake looked just like a MB cake icon_razz.gif )

I don't see why anyone would think that Laurie (I think that's her name, the woman in NYC) isn't creative, by the way. She does a lot of really creative stuff. (I also give her props for showing the hand-washing and hat-wearing that is absent on a lot of the cake shows on these days!) They have to show the cakes that she's making the week they happen to be filming there, maybe that car cake was the only thing they wanted to showcase on the show.

holly4409 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

The lady who made the car (can't remember her name) was on last season, but was actually partnered with someone else.

they co-owned Cake Atelier and now she just owns Cake Alchemy. i have seen better work from her on other episodes. she is amazing with sugar... she did this one cake with blown sugar that was her interpretation of another artists who does blown glass... now i can't find the image to put on here. i know one of you CCers knows what i am talking about...[/img]

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #22 of 77

I watched and DVR'd the episode, so I can watch it again. The car did stink, but I liked the fountain without wire water, and liked the lace dress cake also.

The fountain cake did have several mess-ups, she oversprayed the dark blue and got it on the top of the second tier and most of the wire water was really gobbed on with the RI. I did like the shape of the top tier and the tiles she painted.

I do think since they are on tv they should be the best and most of these people are not.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #23 of 77

Lauie's interpretation of Dale Chihuly's glass work was amazing! Unusual, but very creative!! And she does gorgeous flowers!! Guess cars just aren't her thing! I loved her upside down beehive cake too.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #24 of 77

I guess I must have seen Laurie on a bad day, because I was thoroughly unimpressed with her work. Hopefully they will bring her on again, to see if I am unfairly judging her. icon_razz.gif

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #25 of 77

I just found this show 2 weeks ago and set my DVR to record every episode. I have learned more from this show and Cake Boss than years of Challenge and sometimes A.O.C. although I do love Duff icon_wink.gif

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #26 of 77

I took a class with Laurie a few weeks ago. Her display cakes are beautiful I took pictures of all of them. I also was not impressed with the car before or after she fixed it. I guess it's not what she's use to making. We all have off days, but it doesn't mean she's not talented or creative.

wholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wholden Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #27 of 77

Yeah!
I'm so glad this topic has come up. I'm certainly in no way skilled enough for T.V. or even a bakery for that matter, but I'm NOT on T.V. The baker that gets to me the most is Reva of Merci Beaucoup Cakes. Her work is awful even to my untrained eye! I thought it was just me until I read some comments on the We TV sight about the show. Most everyone has issues with Reva's skills and cleanliness. I absolutely love Christopher's cakes. Next for me would be Mary of Cake Girls. Laurie is a little out there, but her blown sugar work is amazing. I agree with always learning from this show. Does anyone know what the little piece of foam looking stuff was that was used to make the pearls on Chris's cake last night? It looked like they were just squeezing out fondant pearls from this little piece of foam. icon_smile.gif

holly4409 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholden

Yeah!
I'm so glad this topic has come up. I'm certainly in no way skilled enough for T.V. or even a bakery for that matter, but I'm NOT on T.V. The baker that gets to me the most is Reva of Merci Beaucoup Cakes. Her work is awful even to my untrained eye! I thought it was just me until I read some comments on the We TV sight about the show. Most everyone has issues with Reva's skills and cleanliness.

i am sooo glad i am not the only one. i am an absolute novice, but Merci Beaucoup's cakes drive me crazy! they always look sloppy!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:48pm
post #29 of 77

You're so lucky having these cake programmes. We don't have anything like that here in the UK... - hang on.. that's a lie. We get Ace of Cakes, but to me, that's more about Duff - not necessarily the cakes.

I've seen an episode of the programme where they have about 4 cake makers in a competition... they have to make a cake for a specific theme.... I saw the sweet 16 one. And I've seen a very little bit of the one where they made a cake for a little girl's Disney party....

I'd love to see more of these!!

wholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wholden Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #30 of 77

I know, right!!
It's a joke between my daughter and I. We just will blurt out MERCI BEAUCOUP CAKES really fast and in a staccato voice. I can't imagine coming away from a consultation with Reva or Mark and think I'm going to get a quality custom cake, especially if I've seen the show!! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%