Edible Image Printer

Business By Netia Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm by tiggy2

Netia Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:53am
post #1 of 18

My Cannon printer just died. what is the best printer to get to print edible images? I also need to upgrade my computer & software to support our business. Any suggestions?

17 replies
tiggy2 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 18

I have an epson all in one and I love it. I purchased refillable cartridges on ebay and the refill ink from kopykake to keep the cost down.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 18

tiggy...which model Epson? I am still going back and forth about getting one...

Sweetriley Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 18

I had an Epson and I hated it! It kept clogging and stopped working right in the middle of a big order. (and it was only 3 months old) I went out that day and bought a Canon MP620. I only paid about $90 for it (on sale at Best Buy) and it's worked like a dream.

curlsandcrowns Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 18

are you using a regular printer but adding the edible ink and sheets ?

cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:10am
post #6 of 18
Originally Posted by curlsandcrowns

are you using a regular printer but adding the edible ink and sheets ?

No - they have printers that are just for food. Then they use the rice paper and the edible ink in the food safe printer.

Sweetriley Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:27am
post #7 of 18

You can use most regular Canon printers and a few Epson. They are far cheaper than using the printers that are made for decorating.

Loucinda Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 18

I am looking at an Epson 515 right now - I want a wireless one so I don't have to have the cables and such laying around. Just make sure you can get an ink cartridge for the printer you buy! I have heard a lot more positive responses in the forums for the Epson (vs. the Canon ones)

Uniqueask Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 18

Can any Model Cannon Work, Or do you have to get special Models, they are aslo a lot of responses for the cannon, some people like different things I guess

sicookie Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 18

here's a thread from a while back about edible image printers. I just purchased an epson nx200 on e-bay for $60. I'll let you all know how it goes.

sicookie Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 18

sorry, i don't know how to post a link

Brenda0217 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 18

Ok, this is gonna be probably a stupid question, since I am still so new at all this, these printers that are being talked about, I am assuming they are regular printers??? That you use edible inks, edible paper with right? printers with scanners? If you have printer with a scanner on, like I do, you can't just change the ink to edible ink can you? and the same with the paper? That wouldn't be safe would it? So if they are regular printers with scanners then you just buy the edible ink and paper right??? I am sorry if this all sounds so stupid, but I am not that computer savvy to start with, and like I said really new at all this caking stuff. So any clarification will help. Thanks

cdavis Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #13 of 18

Just did my research and DH bought me one yesterday for my birthday. Yes, they are regular printers and you use only edible ink and frosting sheets. You cannot switch back and forth because of the residue from the regular inks. KopyKake has a chart which lists the different models of printers that they sell edible ink for. I checked out that chart, researched the printers, bought the brand new printer on ebay for much less than the local computer big box store and bought the ink from KopyKake. Good luck to you!!

Brenda0217 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 18

Ok, thank you so much, again sorry for the dumb question. and Happy Belated Birthday to you!!

cutthecake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 18

You might want to work backwards and start with the ink. Find edible ink cartridges, then locate the printers that use them. That way you won't wind up with a printer that cannot use edible ink. Once you use the printer for icing sheets, you cannot use it for regular printing. I think the kopykake website has a list of edible ink printers/cartridges. Before I bought my edible ink printer, I did lots of research, and read everything I could find. I called the customer service department at one of the places (I can't remember which) that sold edible ink systems, and asked lots of questions. I eventually bought an inexpensive printer at Staples; and the ink, icing sheets, etc., from kopykake (I think).

The best piece of advice I can give you is this: Remove the ink cartridges if you will not be using the printer regularly and often. If the ink dries in the print head, it's almost impossible to clean it out. I had to soak the part for days to get it clean, and I wasted lots of ink printing test pages in the process.

Brenda0217 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #16 of 18

Thank you so much for the advice, will do alot of research first. and for the tips too.

Sweetriley Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 18

One last thing...when I bought my regular Canon printer I took out the ink that came with it and sold it on eBay and got close to $50 for it. Just about paid for the printer. Don't know if this has been mentioned but the Kopy Kake site has a ton of information on this whole topic.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #18 of 18

The epson I have is no longer available, it's a cx4200. I purchased refillable cartridges on ebay (new & empty) and get the refill ink from kopykake. I've never had a problem with it clogging and I've had it about 3 years. I try to print something (even on paper) every couple of weeks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%