Cake Boards??

Decorating By mommybrooke Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 6:14am by xstitcher

mommybrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybrooke Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 7

What kind of board do you use for you cake to sit on? Like the bottom? I had only made smaller ones, and this weekend made a double layer sheet cake with a tinkerbell on top and it about collapsed on me! I just had it on a plain little cake board like I usually used icon_redface.gif and I am assuming that is what happened? It was just too heavy. What do you use for the bottom and where can I get them? Thanks!!

6 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #2 of 7

BUMP

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 7

I use foamcore. Buy it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, or even the Dollar Tree (though theirs is not as good). It goes on sale every so often...usually goes on sale for a dollar each at Hobby Lobby and $1.25 at Michaels.

Cut it to the size you need with a box cutter. If you need several thicknesses, glue them together with tacky glue...I've heard that a glue gun does not do well for the cake board. I cover them with fondant and then glue a ribbon around the edge.

I use foamcore for the interior boards in a stacked cake too...just cover with press and seal wrap first.

casmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casmom Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 7

Foam board is the one you use for school's projects right? Sorry if the question sounds stupid. I think I might have an overload dose of information and my brain got confused. =P

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:59am
post #5 of 7

I just use multiple cake boards. For the 12x18 sheet, I use 3 cardboards wrapped together. My cake supply shop told me not to waste money on cake drums ... they were just cardboards wrapped together and it would be cheaper for me to wrap my own. Since I wrap them in the fancy-foil, there's no need to tape or glue them together ... the foil holds them together.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:11am
post #6 of 7

Haha!--this is completely unrelated and I don't mean to hijack but Indydebi.. you have moved up and above our earthly CakeCentral ranks and have become our forum "Matriarch--" how fitting and I love it! Thumbs up to you and whomever gave you that title icon_smile.gif

@OP and the topic at hand.. I usually just double (or triple.. depending on how heavy) up on cardboard boards/circles, glue together with a thin smudge of piping gel, and wrap tightly with wrapping paper and then saran wrap. I only do hobby for the most part so I try to keep it simple..Dollar Tree usually has great solid colored wrapping paper.. 30 sq feet for $1 icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:14am
post #7 of 7

I like using the foamcore and masonite boards for my cakes. You can use several cake boards together like IndyDebi does or you can make your own from masonite, plywood etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%