Wedding Cake Pulls

Decorating By FleurDeCake Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm by ktbug

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 15

can anyone help me find where to purchase the wedding cake pull charms for the bridesmaids traditional cake pull. I have looked online but I find that they are really expensive..I was hoping to find some really inexpensive charms. Please help me I have my first wedding cake to do next month..and am having no luck finding these.

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #2 of 15

The bride should provide them as her gift to the bridesmaids, if she's having a cake pull. You shouldn't be buying them unless the bride is reimbursing you for them (plus shipping).

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 15

the bride did furnish me with them when i did a wedding cake like this..and then i did a bridal shower cake with them. and the lady that honored the bride with this cake.. furnished them for me.. they weren,t cheap. they were really nice.. even if you buy them.. then you add it to the cost of the cakes.. etc..hth

shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 15

OK, I have to jump in here icon_redface.gif What are "wedding cake pulls"?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 15

me too...what's a cake pull?

FleurDeCake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #6 of 15

well I guess I should make this a public response...I still don't know all of the cc ettiquette..LOL. A wedding cake pull is an old victorian tradition where in all of the bridesmaids pull a charm that is attached to a ribbon extending from the bottom layer of the wedding cake . Each charm symbolizes a life event.. ie: the ring=the next to wed...the eifell tower=travel....Hope this makes ot a bit clearer for you all.

FleurDeCake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #7 of 15

thanks for all of the input ... I did expect that the bride should provide these but I also need them for my daughters cake in November.. I just can't believe how costly they are...

niccicola Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #8 of 15

do you put these in after you've iced/fondanted/decorated the cake?

I'd be afraid they'd mess up the outside of the cake

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:13am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

do you put these in after you've iced/fondanted/decorated the cake?

I'd be afraid they'd mess up the outside of the cake

I've never done them, but if I did, I'd put them between the cake board and the bottom board.

niccicola Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:21am
post #10 of 15

wouldn't that make the cake tip a little?

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #11 of 15

I guess if they weren't flat...maybe cut a couple of thicknesses of foamcore and put them under the cake board to accomodate the height of the charms but cut them smaller than the cake board so the charms could be hidden. It could be done with a separate little cake too.

I was just reading about it, apparently when the tradition began, it was done with an unfrosted bundt cake...but they must have called it something else, I don't think they called it a bundt cake in Victorian times icon_razz.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #12 of 15

I have used the cake charms several times for bridal luncheon cakes and even petit fours. The charms are small - just like you would wear on a bracelet so it would not make the cake tilt or be uneven at all. I always insert them near the end of the decorating -- if I am doing cornelli lace (which is the usual style) - then i just patch the design a bit. If it doesn't have cornelli lace then there is usually something else like a fondant flower or leaf that will hide where I pushed it into the cake.

The petit fours I did a few weeks ago I put the charm in the top of each cake before the icing set up solid and then I covered that with a fondant rose.

Each charm has a ribbon hanging from it and if the ribbons come attached then there is usually a bow tied near the charm that also helps hide any cake imperfection where it was inserted. If the charms don't come with the ribbons attached, then I tie the bows near the charms -- then the ribbons ends can hang free from the cake and usually a little below the cake stand it is on.

i have really good luck finding charms on ebay. There are also some websites that sell them too - sometimes I've had such large wedding parties that it takes more than the usual 6 that are sold in sets. Also Hallmark stores usually has sets available if you have one near you. Then there is also a party rental supply place here where you rent the tents, tables, chairs, etc - and they carry a set of charms also - but theirs are pretty high i do shop around and like I said earlier - ebay is usually the best buy.

It is a sweet and fun event for the ladies of the bridal party to be a part of!! My daughters will be in a few weeks and I am already planning that cake design too and I already have the needed charms.

HTH

Suze

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 15

we do these too but not with charms. people can pull out ribbons from the bottom of the cake and there's a piece of paper attached to it with your fortune.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm
post #14 of 15

Didn't Wilton used to sell them?

We put them between the iced cake and the cake board then covered any issues with the border.

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #15 of 15

After reading your post, I became intrigued! I have never heard of cake charms. I did some research and attached a link with the cheapest charm sets! Eight charms for $30! I hope this helps!

http://www.sterlingtrends.com/victoriancakepulls.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%