Getting Fondant Black

Decorating By AC7417 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 5:27pm by AC7417

AC7417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AC7417 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 10

I was just wondering how everyone gets that jet black fondant color. I was wanting to do a cake using some black fondant but was worried that the amount of coloring I would have to use would ruin the consistency of the fondant. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 10

hello and welcome.
you could try americolor. i notice wilton black color seems to have a green tint. sometime even purple.
another option if its just for accents is to use wilton black fondant. but if you have alot of fondant work to do try satin ice black fondant.
hope this helps.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 10

Or try making chocolate fondant (yummy) and then you don't have to add so much color. I agree with using the Americolor super black!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 10

Using Americolor, it still takes quite a bit of it to get to black. A couple of hints: 1) start with your scraps of fondant and mix them together. it won't take as much to get black 2) add additional powdered sugar and shortening. When making any dark colors, I alternate between shortening and powdered sugar and color 3) when it gets to dark gray, let it sit overnight. The color will deepen overnight.

HTH!

AC7417 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the welcome, and all of the suggestions! I can't wait to try them out!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 10

Personally for black and red I'd buy it pre-made (Satin Ice) but if I had to make it I'd start with chocolate fondant (sub cocoa for some powdered sugar) and then add the black to that.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Personally for black and red I'd buy it pre-made () but if I had to make it I'd start with chocolate fondant (sub cocoa for some powdered sugar) and then add the black to that.

Yep, what she said.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #8 of 10

Yes, I'd go for the premade.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #9 of 10

I have started buying the premade black and red. However, I did have some scraps and combined them then added black...did not take near as much color. If you can't buy the black try this.

AC7417 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 10

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the suggestions. I didn't have time to order Americolor or black fondant so I tried tinting chocolate fondant black & it worked wonderfully! I was only using it for accents, but if I were doing a lot in black I would probably buy it. Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%