Cake Questions From A Newbie...

Decorating By Steelgoddess Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm by lillermom

Steelgoddess Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone!

I have some questions about making my sons 1st bday cake. His bday party is on sun 13th sept...

Should i do everything the day before? Ie baking, frosting and then covering in fondant?

Where should i store it once its complete?

I want to make some models to go on top whats the best way to do this and is there a tutorial? (I know i have to add a powder to the fondant to make it plyable is that right or is there more to it then that??)

Would making the models the day before be ok or should i make in advance if so how many days in advance.

Any other fondant cake tips very welcome!!!

Thanks so much!

Oh p.s im from the UK

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there! Welcome!

First, you can make the models for the top anytime, the sooner the better in case they're harder to do than you think, and so that they'll be totally dry for the party. The powder that gets added to fondant to stiffen it up is called Tylose and you can get it at a cake decorating supply shop. It can take a few days for a piece to dry totally.

Second, I usually spread things out over a couple of days...bake one day, ice the next and fondant the day after. You can bake and cool completely, then ice, one day, and then put the fondant on the next day. As long as nothing in your cake can spoil (for example whipped cream or mousse fillings) it can stay out on the counter. You may not want to leave it where sunlight coming through a window will be on it for a long time, because the colors can fade.

lillermom Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with Texas Rose about the timeline! Leave yourself some time with the figures and bake and ice on separate days so you won't feel rushed! I usually bake the night before the birthday and decorate the morning of so my fillin has some time to settle in between layers.

First birthday cakes are so much fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%