Fondant Flowers - Refrigerate?

Decorating By AnitaK Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm by luddroth

AnitaK Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 10

I just finished a buttercream cake with fondant flowers - is it o.k. to refrigerate?

9 replies
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 10

probably not. is there a perishable filling? If not, there's no need to refrigerate anyway.

AnitaK Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 10

No filling, the buttercream just looked really soft, so I thought maybe I'd put it in for a bit or for overnight?

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 10

There's no filling at all?

cassiopeia Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 10

I thought you always had to refrigerate buttercream or it would go bad.
I don't know if that is wrong or not. And Im just wondering what would
happen if you did refrigerate fondant flowers? I just made a whole bunch
of cupcakes with fondant roses on them and put them in the refrigerator
nothing bad has happened yet but it has only been a few hours.

kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 10

It's not the best idea. I have and not had a problem but.......others have.

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 10

You generally don't have to refrigerate bc at all. Since I don't know your recipe, I won't make universal statements. Fondant will usually sweat when it goes from cold refrig temp to warmer room temps. The sweat has to evaporate on it's own, so as the moisture sits there on your flowers, they can start to disintegrate. However, if you're used SatinIce, you'll probably be OK, as it is formulated to be pretty forgiving.

Generally speaking, if there's not a perishable filling there is no reason to refrigerate a cake, and plenty of reasons not to.

cassiopeia Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #8 of 10

Even though I didn't start this it really helped me out.
Thank you so much!

AnitaK Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks - I removed it right after Leah's post and the flowers are still o.k.

luddroth Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 10

The buttercreams that are Crisco based are fine at room temp, but I'm not sure I would let swiss meringue butter cream sit out too long. In a cool room, I know it's fine overnight, but I would worry about the egg whites being out too long. They're cooked and stabilized with sugar, so maybe it's ok? I haven't left it out for more than 24 hours... If the cake is covered with plastic, the fondant decors have a better chance of surviving refrigeration -- it's condensation that hurts them, so if you let them come to room temp protected by plastic, it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%