Any Tricks To Prevent Display Cakes Turning Yellow?

Decorating By thecakechic Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 4:24pm by TitiaM

thecakechic Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

what is the best way to store fondant covered styrofoam cakes without turning yellow ... since i have plenty of storage i would like to keep as long as i can
does it matter what type of fondant you use and does royal icing piping discolor the cakes in time? i have had a few cakes turn a little yellow
i place my cakes in sealed boxes and no exposure to light
also do i need to worry about bugs ... so far no problems
and ... is it possible to scrape off a royal icing pattern and reuse the fondant dummy or will the previous pattern leave marks?

sorry for so many questions ... i am trying to get as much mileage as i can with these dummies
thanks for your help!

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakechic

what is the best way to store fondant covered styrofoam cakes without turning yellow ... matter what type of fondant you use and does royal icing piping discolor the cakes in time? i have had a few cakes turn a little yellow.......i place my cakes in sealed boxes and no exposure to light.......also do i need to worry about bugs ... so far no problems and ... is it possible to scrape off a royal icing pattern and reuse the fondant dummy or will the previous pattern leave marks?

I have not had problems w/my display cakes yellowing. I have kept them out on display at least 1 or 2 yrs. By then it's time to re do the styles anyway icon_smile.gif
I wonder if it's your weather that's causing the problem. Is it hot and humid in your area? Never did have any problem w/bugs.
The previous patter will probably leave 'marks'. The color of the icing will be under it and the rest will have faded or turned yellowish.

pnnllj Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 5

I've never tried this so I don't know if it really works, but I've read somewhere to cover the dummies with plastic wrap then you can 'peel' off the old design and re-use the cake dummy. Maybe someone knows if that really works?

sadsmile Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 5

I wonder if gumpaste would give you the rock hard fondant look and be more durable? Maybe then you could take away RI and reuse with out having to re-cover the dummy in fresh fondant/gumpaste. You could try giving it a light sand with a find sand paperand then rub a little shortning on it to refresh the sanded surface. Just a thought but I bet it is the shortning in the recipies that turn yellow with age. But I don't think that stuff could be made without it.

TitiaM Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 5

I've tried the plastic wrap under fondant--you have to be very careful covering the styrofoam with the plastic wrap or you get wrinkles that show through and once the plastic is firmly attached use a warm hairdryer to shrink it a bit. It works pretty well--fondant is much easier to remove that way. I haven't tried it with royal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%