Cookies & Cake, The Perfect Decorating Combo!

Baking By andpotts Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 12:09pm by JGMB

andpotts  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

I just did my largest cake to date a huge Gotham city/Batman birthday for the neighbors. But my biggest dilema, was how to make a bat signal that would stand up, stay sturdy at outdoor pool party and look like it belonged on top of a large cake next to batman. I was so stressed out, chocolate worked for the buildings because they were supposed to look wonky and cartoonish, colorflow/royal looked cool, but with such a large piece, they are often tempermental mediums & I'm no pro, but then a light came on, a giant cookie!!! It worked perfectly, I was just bursting with happiness, thank goodness I caught the cookie bug a while ago and have learned so much from all of you (handcut templets/NFSC/draw & Fill), cookies and cake are the perfect combo!!! Just had to share my happy dance, Andrea
sorry I can't get the pic to shrink enough for the post, it's in my photos though

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-andpotts.html

8 replies
 coffeecake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 9

Very cute ! coloring your cookie dough really made it work well.

mjk350  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 9

Looks awesome!!! You did a great job on it!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 9

OMG! That's amazing!!

dsilbern  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 9

Holy bat signal cookie, Batman!

cylstrial  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

Here's the link to your cake! It looks great by the way!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1449682

andpotts  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Here's the link to your cake! It looks great by the way!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1449682

Thanks, you guys are awesome and I'm just soooo happy I crossed over to the land of cookies, the possibilities are endless!

Sorry I had so much trouble getting the pic small enough yesterday, finaly figured it's because I have a different version of powerpoint on the desktop vs. my laptop which I usually use to upload, anyhow thanks again for sharing in my baby decorator glee icon_smile.gif
LL

Mickeebabe  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #8 of 9

question for andpotts:

In your Sweet 15 Soccer Birthday bouquet, you have a third picture posted that looks like icing in cups with brushes in them? Is that what they are? And how does that work?

Thanks.

JGMB  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 9

Awesome Batman cake! I also used cookies as a topper for the first time recently (in my photos). I wanted the cake to say "Happy Anniversary Ted and Linda" and had no idea how to go about it, until I remembered the wedding cake in the 2009 Wilton Yearbook that used cookies on lollipop sticks. The happy couple was blown away with the cake -- people around here think my cakes are great, as Sam's Club sheets are what they're used to. I hope they never discover CC, or they'll see what great cakes really look like! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%