Cookies & Cake, The Perfect Decorating Combo!

Baking By andpotts Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 12:09pm by JGMB

andpotts Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

I just did my largest cake to date a huge Gotham city/Batman birthday for the neighbors. But my biggest dilema, was how to make a bat signal that would stand up, stay sturdy at outdoor pool party and look like it belonged on top of a large cake next to batman. I was so stressed out, chocolate worked for the buildings because they were supposed to look wonky and cartoonish, colorflow/royal looked cool, but with such a large piece, they are often tempermental mediums & I'm no pro, but then a light came on, a giant cookie!!! It worked perfectly, I was just bursting with happiness, thank goodness I caught the cookie bug a while ago and have learned so much from all of you (handcut templets/NFSC/draw & Fill), cookies and cake are the perfect combo!!! Just had to share my happy dance, Andrea
sorry I can't get the pic to shrink enough for the post, it's in my photos though

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-andpotts.html

8 replies
coffeecake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 9

Very cute ! coloring your cookie dough really made it work well.

mjk350 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 9

Looks awesome!!! You did a great job on it!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 9

OMG! That's amazing!!

dsilbern Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 9

Holy bat signal cookie, Batman!

cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

Here's the link to your cake! It looks great by the way!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1449682

andpotts Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Here's the link to your cake! It looks great by the way!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1449682

Thanks, you guys are awesome and I'm just soooo happy I crossed over to the land of cookies, the possibilities are endless!

Sorry I had so much trouble getting the pic small enough yesterday, finaly figured it's because I have a different version of powerpoint on the desktop vs. my laptop which I usually use to upload, anyhow thanks again for sharing in my baby decorator glee icon_smile.gif
LL

Mickeebabe Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #8 of 9

question for andpotts:

In your Sweet 15 Soccer Birthday bouquet, you have a third picture posted that looks like icing in cups with brushes in them? Is that what they are? And how does that work?

Thanks.

JGMB Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 9

Awesome Batman cake! I also used cookies as a topper for the first time recently (in my photos). I wanted the cake to say "Happy Anniversary Ted and Linda" and had no idea how to go about it, until I remembered the wedding cake in the 2009 Wilton Yearbook that used cookies on lollipop sticks. The happy couple was blown away with the cake -- people around here think my cakes are great, as Sam's Club sheets are what they're used to. I hope they never discover CC, or they'll see what great cakes really look like! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%