Storage Questions...

Baking By pnnllj Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm by pnnllj

pnnllj Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I don't have a lot of decorated cookie experience...I am wondering how long can a cookie decorated with the color flow stuff be stored? I have to make some for a wedding this coming weekend and don't know how soon I can get started (I am also doing the cake).
How about cookies decorated with fondant put on while the cookie is still warm?
I haven't decided which method to decorate them, they are pumpkins so not too detailed, thank goodness!

Thanks!!!
Jackie

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

I decorate mine with fondant. They're good for a week. If I need to keep them longer, I freeze them. My mom will save them and eat them for about three weeks without noticing a decline in the freshness, but I've never sampled any she's kept for that long.

I'm partial to putting fondant on cookies icon_biggrin.gif especially while the cookie is warm because it is so fast, so I'll give you a biased suggestion...fondant would be perfect for pumpkins because you could make impressions to be the ridges in the pumpkin. Also, if you could buy a little leaf scrapbook punch (I got one at Target in the dollar bins this time last year, don't know if they have any this year yet) then you could put a couple of little leaves on the top of each. If you roll your fondant out thin and let it dry for a minute or two, it's super-easy to punch out shapes with a paper punch. I've done pumpkins that way before and they looked wonderful.

pnnllj Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love your suggestions!

cookiescookies Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 5

Hi Jackie,
I thought I'd share a pumpkin cookie picture I just made recently. I made this cookie using fondant.
In terms of how long they stay fresh...I'm still experimenting there, but one week seems to be safe.

Good luck!
LL

pnnllj Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 5

Great looking cookies, thanks for the inspiration! About how long does the fondant need to set before putting the cookies in the "treat bags"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%