Storage Questions...

Baking By pnnllj Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm by pnnllj

pnnllj Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

I don't have a lot of decorated cookie experience...I am wondering how long can a cookie decorated with the color flow stuff be stored? I have to make some for a wedding this coming weekend and don't know how soon I can get started (I am also doing the cake).
How about cookies decorated with fondant put on while the cookie is still warm?
I haven't decided which method to decorate them, they are pumpkins so not too detailed, thank goodness!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

I decorate mine with fondant. They're good for a week. If I need to keep them longer, I freeze them. My mom will save them and eat them for about three weeks without noticing a decline in the freshness, but I've never sampled any she's kept for that long.

I'm partial to putting fondant on cookies icon_biggrin.gif especially while the cookie is warm because it is so fast, so I'll give you a biased suggestion...fondant would be perfect for pumpkins because you could make impressions to be the ridges in the pumpkin. Also, if you could buy a little leaf scrapbook punch (I got one at Target in the dollar bins this time last year, don't know if they have any this year yet) then you could put a couple of little leaves on the top of each. If you roll your fondant out thin and let it dry for a minute or two, it's super-easy to punch out shapes with a paper punch. I've done pumpkins that way before and they looked wonderful.

pnnllj Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love your suggestions!

cookiescookies Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 5

Hi Jackie,
I thought I'd share a pumpkin cookie picture I just made recently. I made this cookie using fondant.
In terms of how long they stay fresh...I'm still experimenting there, but one week seems to be safe.

Good luck!

pnnllj Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 5

Great looking cookies, thanks for the inspiration! About how long does the fondant need to set before putting the cookies in the "treat bags"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%