Photo Taking Suggestions

Decorating By Ladybug78 Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm by Texas_Rose

Ladybug78 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 4

does anyone have any suggestions for taking good cake pics. I heard about light boxes but they go for $200+. Any help would be appreciated.

3 replies
minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 4

Try to use natural sunlight and get up close as well as the 'long shots' for total view. Or so the hubs says. Notice all the pix on my profile. LOL.

sarahokie Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 4

Ditto to the natural light. If I don't have enough natural light available I use a flash, but angle it so that it bounces off the ceiling first. (I have a dSLR with external flash unit). I also prefer shots where the background is blurred. This can be accomplished (if using a SLR) by setting your apperature to the lowest number your lens allows.

Some people also use those foam core science fair display boards or even fabric draped behind and underneath to get a uniform looking backdrop.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 4

I have one of those science fair boards that I use for a backdrop. I drape a dark cloth over my ottoman and put the backdrop up, then set the cake on the ottoman (because I am short I can't take good cake photos on a counter and I don't have a kitchen table icon_biggrin.gif)

If you look in my pictures, you'll see what a big difference it can make having a dark background. Also, lots of my earlier pictures were taken with my cell phone camera because that's what I had. I bought a real camera not too long ago and it makes it a lot easier to get a nice picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%