Sugarshack Buttercream - Air Bubbles Next Day

Decorating By grandmom Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 4:52am by dandelion56602

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:30pm
post #31 of 52

Hi everyone.

I was wondering how much buttercream would I need to make for about 110 cupcakes, that will have a swirl going two times on each cupcake? And can I just double or triple my recipe?

I just use the Wilton reciepe. I have not tried SS yet but looking forward to it soon. Any info would help thanks!! icon_smile.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:27am
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclvs2

Hi everyone.

I was wondering how much buttercream would I need to make for about 110 cupcakes, that will have a swirl going two times on each cupcake? And can I just double or triple my recipe?

I just use the Wilton reciepe. I have not tried SS yet but looking forward to it soon. Any info would help thanks!! icon_smile.gif

Using the 1M tip, it takes approximately 2 cups of buttercream for me to ice 24 cupcakes, so it would be 9.17 cups of buttercream for me to ice 110 cupcakes. Make a little more to be on the safe side.

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:57am
post #33 of 52

Thanks so much vdrsolo, That is very helpful. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #34 of 52

I've got a 4 1/2 qt kitchen aid bowl (the classic). I'm getting the DVD Friday (DH payday!)does it have a conversion for the 4 1/2qt bowl?? Do I half Wendy's 6qt?

I just want to make sure I've got enough of everything on hand to give it a run...

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #35 of 52

I just made my first batch of hi-ratio based buttercream last week, and although I didn't exactly use Sharon's recipe, I had the exact same results: First day, beeeyooooootiful unbelievably smooth creamy frosting. Next day: weird air bubbly stuff. I'm not sure what the brand of shortening was, possibly Wesson? It was what they had at my local cake supply store. It certainly was a learning experience!

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #36 of 52

does anyone have a link to that 40-some page thread?? i would LOVE to read that!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #37 of 52

i just made some yesterday, but cut it in half this time, i did measure out on the last full batch that the 20 tablespoons of creamer measured out to a cup and it said equal so i use 1 cup water and of course 1/2 in the batch i made 1/2 cups it came out really nice, i don't use the sweet tex. and 8 lbs of con sugar.

ninatat Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #38 of 52

i think this is the sugarshack one i use
61/2 cups crisco
5 table spoons flavor
20 tablespoons i measured them out and it equel's a cut so a cup of water
8 lbs of con sugar.
i cut it in half last night and it comes out really good.
I have a smaller mixer so i had to rotate the frosting,
but i borrowed my friends large and still had to rotate but not as much.
i like this recipe it's not super sick sweet

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #39 of 52

I know what you mean about this buttercream. The cake I did last month the sugarshack buttercream turned out perfect, I was raving about it on cc. But the cake I did yesterday... another story, air bubbles galore. Still not sure what I did wrong. I was ready to scrape off every bit of frosting and start over. So glad I didn't, once I put the decorations on it turned out pretty. I just want to know how to get the recipe to turn out. I did use a store brand of powdered sugar, and sifted it, could that be the problem?

ninatat Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:30am
post #40 of 52

i alway's use the store brands, i did my cake today and the frosting crused really crusted i think i have to use just a little less con sugar, unless i figured wrong when i cut it in half

ninatat Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:32am
post #41 of 52

oh and i posted this on the wrong thread lol

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #42 of 52

Does anyone have this recipe for the 20 quart mixer?

Thanks

ninatat Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:05pm
post #43 of 52

i don't know how big that is mine is smaller just cut it in half or double it

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:26am
post #44 of 52

I have used Sharons recipe since I got her DVD's and it is the most asked for recipe. Which I will not share. Let them buy the DVD lol

Mine has always turned out with no problems except for the last batch, and I think the problem was that I kept scraping the bowl down to much!

For some reason I kept thinking that I need to scrape the bowl down and I must have scraped about 8 times I reackon, where as I normally only scrape once or twice!

I think I introduced the bubbles lifting up the paddle, scraping then putting paddle back in. I usually just put in the scraper right to the bottom to get PS up and then plock paddle in and forget about it.

I have had my buttercream in the fridge for a week and it has never ever formed air bubbles even when freezing.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:06pm
post #45 of 52

Sharon is very generous - if you ask her she will share the recipe with you.

Ninatat - you are using too much sugar in your recipe!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #46 of 52

The recipe is here in the recipe section. There are also numerous posts w/ people who have variations of what works for them, since there are 4.5, 5 & 6qt mixers. But I am terrible at doing searches on CC. I can get over 1,000 results & after page 1 it says no topics exist! I haven't a clue about a 20 qt mixer. If there is one for a 5 qt out there I would suggest starting at 4x's that since it would be the easiest to convert. The 4.5 qt recipe, you would need 4.44 x's the recipe & 6 qt you would need 3 1/3 x's the recipe. But you'll have to experiment w/ what works for you b/c I've discovered it's a little different for me & weather affects it---we've had rain every day for 2 weeks & it really affected my last batch. I never thought it would affect buttercream, but I found it does slightly.

Now, I have a question for you guys. My 6 qt died while making a batch this past week, 1/2 way through mixing. I was ready to VOMIT. As much as I paid for that baby it should not have died after 3 yrs! But, my question is, if I get an order between now & the time I get it back from repair can I make it with a handheld mixer? Do you think it will be too much of a load for the mixer (it's a Cuisinart) or do you think the beaters will create too much air? I can tell you there won't be any more bubbles than were in this last batch. My hands cramped from having to finish by hand. Just wondering if you guys have attempted w/ a handheld.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #47 of 52

This is a batch of icing I had left over from the wedding cake I did for 9-5, I took a picture of the icing 1 week later you can see it has bubbles in it.
I took my flat spatula stir and folded the icing, this is how I have to do it.

dandelion, I did have use a hand held a few times before I got a bigger mixer, when I made this recipe. I could only do half of the 5qt. recipe at a time. In my case I did have some air (not much), but I always made sure to keep my beaters below down in the icing.

As Sharon said, make sure your hand held mixer has a strong powerful motor....because I just about burned mine up. After that I would use my sister in laws Sunbeam stand mixer (1/2 of 5qt. recipe at a time), there was few times though I was going to burn it up.

God Bless,
Sharon
LL
LL

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #48 of 52

I must be reaaly lucky because my icing cam sit for a week or freeze it and it not have one air bubble in it.

I think Sweetex is a big part of this, as I have tried other brands, and do experience the development of bubbles over time with those. Just my theory, but that is just one of the reasons I will go to the corners of the earth for my sweetex.

I am sorry you guys are having this problem.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:33am
post #49 of 52

I have to agree with you Sharon maybe it could be the type of hi-ratio shortening, I use Alpine.

This icing (in the pic) had been setting on my counter for a week when I took the picture (forgot to say that in my earlier post)....but I just stir it a little and it turn out great I think.

I used it on a cake for my family last week and it still look smooth and great looking on the cake. Thats why I posted the pics, to show how I get them out by stirring/folding with the spatula. Well thats what works for me, maybe it could work for others also.

First time my icing did this I got worried, but I don't any more ...I just get the spatula out thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif I hope this can help someone by seeing the difference.

God Bless,
Sharon
p.s. Love your recipe Sharon & your dvd's ROCK!!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #50 of 52

fabulous Granny! YOU rock!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:12am
post #51 of 52

this is helpful-I made Sharon's recipe once & had trouble. Will try again!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:52am
post #52 of 52

Even though I get bubbles after it sits for a few days, it still kicks a@$. And I could've kicked some when my KA died. I've quit using so many explitives since having kids but they flew last week. It would've been nice for it to have at least finished that batch! But I'm like you granny, I just get out my spatulas (rubber & angled) & slap it against the side of the bowl

This pic is the cake that was iced w/ the batch that only mixed for 4 1/2 min. The smudge in the front is from me getting careless when putting on my flowers. Even if you guys have problems w/ the icing I highly recommend Sharon's DVDs--they too kick a@$. My cake presentations totally turned around after the buttercream video & I resorted to the fondant dvd for my shoe box cake. The remaining videos are on my wish list!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%