Kitchenaid Mixers

Decorating By txtina Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 1:09am by Rose_N_Crantz

txtina Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 17

Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a new Kitchenaid mixer. Would really like everyones opinion. Is the professional 475 watt mixer a profoundly better investment than the 350 watt? Has anyone purchased a refurbished model from the company directly. There is a significant savings but only 6 month warranty.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

16 replies
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 17

Yes - buy the most powerful motor you can afford. I have purchased a refurb'd mixer and it was not a good experience. I blew out three in four months. Finally KA gave me my $ back.

However, I have recently purchased 2, Pro 600s. So far, so good. They're my "little mixers." icon_smile.gif

txtina Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #3 of 17

Thank you - makes sense. thumbs_up.gif

dyrinella Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 17

I have to say that I have grown to hate KitchenAid. I loved them when Hobart made them but the new ones are horrible. For a long time they were using plastic for the gear housing and anyone who used the mixer more than occasionally was having problems. I just killed my second one (a 600 Pro) with what I consider to be normal usage. I had already had it fixed once before to the tune of $150 and was just not willing to pay that again. If you do go with a KitchenAid do not plan to take up bread making. It is horrid for that.

You might want to check the reviews on Amazon before buying anything. They are very enlightening.

nonie2007 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 17

You can buy a 475 watt pro ka mixer from Sams for right at $200.

sugarsugargal Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 17

i have had mine a year now with pretty heavy duty use and am very pleased with it all round . . i have the Artisan, not the pro icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 17

KA has a great replacement policy. Last year got a brand new replacement 'cuz of a 'smell' while kneading bread. This week I get a replacement because the little black plastic piece on the speed lever cracked and fell off. (I think getting a whole new machine for a 5 dollar hunk of plastic is a bit wasteful...but I was assured it is "policy').

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 17

I have an Artisan and I use it all the time, for making bread, fondant and of course cake and buttercream icon_biggrin.gif I've had it for a year and a half and used it pretty regularly, with no problems at all.

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 17

I love mine. I've had it for almost 7 years. Never had any problems I have the Pro 6. I also have the Artisan 7 hand mixer. But then I use my bread machine for bread, not my KA. (My mom's the bread maker in the family and I'm the cake baker, neither of us is very good at what the other is great at, go figure!) Of course, I'd love to have a big Hobart mixer....If you do a LOT of cakes, esp if you have a shop, invest in one of those!

beverlyanne Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 17

From personal experience, I would stay away from a refurbished one. I had a new 5 quart for about 12 years and traded it in for a refurbished one directly from KitchenAid (I traded it in cuz I purchased the ice cream maker attachment that is advertised to fit all the KitchenAid mixers; it wouldn't fit mine). So as a kind gesture, KitchenAid offered to send me a refurbished unit that would work with the ice cream maker. That mixer only lasted about six years. Unfortunately, there are no authorized repair people in my area, so I chose to buy a new one 5 quart 475 watt. Love it!!! Hope this helps.

Bev

caked4life Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 17

Just purchased a KA on thier website. I was going to get a rurb, but got a new KA pro 600 for only 20.00 more(after the mail in rebate). It was 299.99 plus a 40.00 rebate. The refurb was 239.00. Also got free shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtina

Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a new Kitchenaid mixer. Would really like everyones opinion. Is the professional 475 watt mixer a profoundly better investment than the 350 watt? Has anyone purchased a refurbished model from the company directly. There is a significant savings but only 6 month warranty.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

txtina Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #12 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif thank you so much!

pattycakesnj Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #13 of 17

I have the pro 600, love it and I use it constantly

toleshed Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #14 of 17

I also have the pro 600 and absolutely love it. I'm not a cake maker however; I do cookies. But it does the fondant beautifully. Would buy another.

Sweetriley Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:02am
post #15 of 17

I have had my Pro 6 refurb. for 5 years and I beat the tar out of it but it still works great! It only cost about $150 so you can't beat that. Love the support you get from KA too. They have always been able to answer all my questions.

toleshed Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:02am
post #16 of 17

I also have the pro 600 and absolutely love it. I'm not a cake maker however; I do cookies. But it does the fondant beautifully. Would buy another.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #17 of 17

Anyone have a beaterblade to go with it? I hear they are marvalous little gems. I saw one at Williams & Sonoma the other day, but found out that the model of beaterblade they have only fits a tilt head mixer. I have a bowl-lifting model.

Perhaps it's time to buy a tilt head mixer, or find out where I can buy a model of beaterblade that fits my mixer.

I've had my Kitchenaid so long that I can't even remember what model it is. I've tried to search for it on the website and I can't find it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%