St John, Nb/halifax, Nova Scotia Questions

Lounge By Deb_ Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm by Deb_

Deb_ Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

My DH and I are taking a Canada/New England cruise next Saturday, Sept. 5th. We're not new to cruising, this is our 9th cruise, however we usually cruise the Caribbean.

A few of the ports we'll be visiting are Bar Harbor, ME, Saint John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

We've never been to any of these places so I'd love suggestions of must see/do, places to visit.

Also........do any of you own bakeries in these spots? I'd love to stop by and enjoy one of your sweets.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 7

I live in Western Canada but I have to tell you that Nova Scotia and the rest of the Canadian Martitimes is some of the most beautiful scenery in the world!! You won't be disappointed!!! Have fun!!

AverageMom Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 7

I'm from Nova Scotia, and spent a good deal of my child in NB. Sadly, now I'm clear on the other end of the country!
The scenery will be gorgeous! Take a windbreaker/rain jacket. In Nova Scotia, rent a car and drive down the coast to see Peggy's Cove. I don't know how long you will be in the area, so it's hard to give ideas....

fancyface Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7

hi dkelly I don't have a shop out there, but I have visited Halifax, Pier 21 is cool, if you like stories of immigrants. There is a whole pier area to explore , along with The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic , Halifax Citadel , and of course if you like beer there is the Alexander Keith's Nova Scotia Brewery which does tours.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

Michelle

Deb_ Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys! I'm really excited about visiting these 2 ports, I've heard they're really beautiful.

We'll be in Saint John from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and in Nova Scotia from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. So we have a decent amount of time to sight see.

AverageMom.....thanks for the tip about bringing a windbreaker/raincoat, I was wondering if it would be cool at this time of year. Do you think there are any restrictions for Americans renting a car in Canada?

Can you guys recommend any good restaurants?

xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:05am
post #6 of 7

No restrictions for renting cars Deb. It's the same as renting here in America. The only thing that they don't want you to do is cross the border with the vehicle. I've done it when I've flown to Buffalo (on numerous occasions) but they warn you that the officials at the border can stop you but since your just going to be in Canada it won't be a problem anyway. I've never been out there, my DH has tried on numerous occasions to try and agree to move out there but there is just not enough work. He lived in the Maritimes when he was younger and also was out there when in the military. One of these days I plan on getting out there though so let me know what you think.

Deb_ Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Parm for the car rental info. I'll definitely report on the cruise when we return.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%